Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please

• 01-10-2022 7:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all I am presently living abroad in Asia and dont see my self returning to Ireland. I am nearly 62 married with a teenager and retired. My big problem is I have over 500k pension pot in a BOI cash account with a private trustee firm and I am struggling to invest it. I was planning an international Sipp where I would be taxed in the UK which I dont want and it is costly with nearly 20k upfront fees. My Irish finance planner is advising me to put all the funds into a social housing bond ( 6% per annum growth) that is not central bank guaranteed he has told me I can not put into a insurance company invested as I am living abroad.

Can anyone give me advice I really need to sort this as my savings are running out. Thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Probably a question to ask on the www.askaboutmoney.com website - Its an Irish site and a lot of experts in the field give opinions

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Given your location and stage in life it makes no sense in having your entire savings invested in a small open economy on the edge of Europe, let a lone in high risk asset class in that country. I think the consensus return for this kind of thing internationally is somewhere around the 2% - 3$ level, or possibly even less, so if you are being offered 6% you are obviously taking on significantly more risk.

You would be well advised to find a good local advisor who knows the local tax laws, opportunities available and has the ability to build you a well allocated international portfolio that can support you in retirement.

Advertisement