Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sponsored by Your License Fee: The Late Late Show Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

The thing I don't get about the Fairytale of New York changing of the lyrics is.....if the lyrics are unacceptable, then surely you would choose to cancel the song instead of change the lyrics.

Shane McGowan sings the original lyrics, so if you feel so strongly that you can't sing the original, then surely you must think strongly enough that you refuse to cover the song at all?

And surely if you're such a virtuous person not to use f*ggot, then how is it ok to use a slur against drug users...a crackhead?

As bad as the cat screeching cover of FoNY was, it was still better than her shite poetry.

Hansard is unbearable though. Did he ever answer where the money from Home Sweet Home went to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭StevenToast

What about the poor scumbags out there also...very offensive song to our beloved scum.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭deezell

New lyrics:

"You're a scumbag and b@stard

as sh¡te as Glen Hansard"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,310 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Where does the rewriting of songs end? Should Chris Rea change "He's just the same" to "They are just the same" so as not to offend anyone by him assuming the 21 stone bearded person driving the plumbers van next to him was a man.

Meanwhile, 'Toy Show, the Farcical', continues, or doesn't, to less than full houses, especially the ones where the cast ring in sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Back to 364,000 for the final show of the year. Happy Christmas and have a great new year.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The LLS show been experiencing some of the worst audiences in recent times.

Was watching the Cloch le Cairn (spelling is wrong, I admit) special on Brendan Kennelly. It was interesting, didn't laud massive plaudits on him, and showed him as the flawed individual that he was.

It showed clips of his appearances on the Late Late Show, including that moment when Gay Byrne called a woman who'd daughter had been killed in a hit-and-run accident the night before. Even 25 years later, you watch that clip, and you still hold your breath.

But one of the clips, it showed Brendan being interviewed by Gay Byrne, and it cut to the rest of the guests who were sitting off to the side, with microphones, tables, glasses of water or whatever in front of them. And who did I notice, but Alice Cooper, the Rockstar. It was fascinating to be reminded of the quality of guests the show used to accommodate.

Nowadays, it's regular car-crash television.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,909 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Now the standard of guests would be an Alice Cooper impersonator on Zoom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

This.

If someone is genuinely offended, you'd think they would just sing a different song. But that wouldn't give them the chance to virtue signal while also capitalising on the popularity of the tune.

The word "faggót" is in the song. You don't get to re-write it because it hurts your feelings. You cannot change the artist's intentions. They'll be trying to cut off Michelangelo's knob next!

This business of cherry-picking the bits they can benefit from and then pretending the rest of it doesn't exist just epitomises how self-absorbed and hypocritical these permanently offended types tend to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I think you mean the knob of Michelangelos "David"!

But point taken...

(Pun intended)

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭mistersifter

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

Imelda May? What's happened .... that performance was awful on Friday night ... esp that second song ... I think when IM came out first she was great ... singing other type of stuff like swing ... now she is just singing the same old modern pop/country drivel like em all ....

Or Ray D'arcy introducing 'Jack Nicholson' as a guest on his show.

But it was an impersonator called Norman.

Was grateful I was watching some movie on Sky Cinema when this incident took place. Found out about it the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

D'arcy tried to wash his hands of any/all involvement in the aftermath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

How is this PC exactly? 😂 Was it PC when Johnny Giles was always introduced by Bill O Herlihy as “John Giles” even though everyone called him Johnny? Get a grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,681 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Didi Hamann on the world cup panel was captioned as 'Dieter', I assume because someone considered the text version of "Didi" on a caption offensive to someone, somewhere. I don't know who deleted my original post.

Aye, but the buck stopped with him.

D'arcy's never had backbone, honestly. If he had, he'd have taken the blame rather than acting like a victim.

I used to like Imelda May ... but she is just another bland pop/modern country singer now like em all ... when she came on the scene first she was doing jazz/swing/1950s R&B style material ... she abandoned that and her music has become more contemporary and suffered ... I feel that shyte is all RTE and so on support ... same goes for G Hansard ... I'm sure he could give us soul and the like and revive some of that Commitments material ... but no, it has to be some original modern pop/country shyte for RTE ...

IM and GH need to return to their roots ... they were better as swing singer and soul musician respectively ... what they are doing now esp IM is terrible ... I have not read her poetry but did buy her second last album which is woeful and the usual pop/country/modern stuff so unlike her real style ... I loved most of what was on her 1st 4 albums which I had purchased prev ...

Something about her marriage breakdown sort of made her 'lose' her... style, I guess?

And I'm not making fun of anyone who's marriage breaks down-it's happened to extended family, and it's very painful. But for a musician/ singer, it can have an affect. Especially since her husband was also a musician, it probably felt better to 'reinvent' herself.

That said, it's about as successful as the time Garth Brooks went emo.

(Not a joke, that actually happened)

I mean, I'd rather listen to cats squabbling than anything she sings now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

Imeldas makeover has definitely been successful. She turned into a babe.

So Imelda May's original style was just because of her marriage ... Darrel Higham is certainly good doing all that Elvis and early rock 'n' roll stuff ... IM got it from him and starting singing it very well ...

She reinvented herself ... into just yet another modern pop country singer ... but hey RTE always will support that rubbish ... I feel empathy for her marriage situation but she could have done a better music style surely? bluegrass? country swing? soul? All options surely ...

I did not hear about Garth Brooks' makeover ... will check out ....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I distinctly remember this rant from Brendan Glesson, back in the day. Was always trying to find it and didn't until this popped up a few days ago. The HSE remains an appalling organisation. If this were Tubridy, he'd interrupt.

Physically, she was a never ugly, imho. She just went on a diet, and shed a few pounds. (Paraphrasing, but she did lose weight). And yeah, the Chrissie Hynde thing is working for her.

Not what I meant, but I see where that might be interpreted. I was more saying that it was probably difficult for her to go back to the 'quiff' days, and the material she performed around then. But that was in the days where her now ex-husband was also part of her band. Doing that material might bring up memories of the breakup, and so it's hard to return to that.

It's sort of similar to not being able to go to a certain place or location that you used to go with a loved one, because it reminds you they are no longer in your life.

That said, her success as a singer and musician is entirely down to her own talents and hard work. And her ex-husband- same story. They complimented each other, but that doesn't say their success was entirely down to one person.

And I agree, her current style... I'm not a fan. I think it was Colin Murphy, who termed it best... in Ireland, we celebrate mediocrity. Laud it even.

When genuinely great stuff does show up (Cartoon Saloon's films for example)...we ignore it. We've been burned too much in the past.

Celebrate mediocrity... I've lost count of the number of barefooted straggly bearded whining and howling performances I've watched on the Late Late by the Hothouse flowers, jaw droppingly excruciating, and all on the back of That One Song. I'd sit wondering wtf I'd just listened to, some kind of cave dwelling shaman or organic vegan inspired rubbish, sometimes in Irish. Then the late late presenter of the day would praise and indeed laud the torture we'd just endured. Really. If they'd just played The Song, then fkd off, we would at least have been entertained, and happy. But no, move to interview about influences, mountains, spiritual stuff etc. etc. At least it usually ended with being told where the next tour was, so you could avoid like the plague.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Say, what you really think, why don't you? I think, HHF have about half a dozen great songs.

Yeah, Liam O'Maonlai hams up the celtic roots shtick a bit much, but overall one of Ireland's best ever bands.

I did, I think they are sh!te apart from one song. Half a dozen passable songs over how many years? Nowhere near Irelands best ever. All I ever seen was the 'ham shtick' on the late late. Self indulgent pap. Christy Moore is going down that road now, causes, and tree hugging and singing while standing in the sea or some suchlike, maybe an oul whale will pop up it's head and join in. Give me a bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Some of the recent comments in here reminds me of auld ones gossiping. “She was never the same after her fella left her.” I’m beginning to think that The Late Late Show is failing to fill a Jeremy Kyle sized hole in a lot of people’s hearts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,153 ✭✭✭littlevillage

The make-over has been a spectacular success. She seems to have generally calmed things down a bit and softened the inner city edge too. (Aging, and having a kid)

I have only seen her do covers recently though, soo maybe the ex-hubby was indeed the creative force

• Advertisement

It was the music that made it for her the lyrics were always shite

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement