Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pausing Car Insurance

Options
  • 01-10-2022 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

I have recently gotten a new job and it requires I travel alot for several weeks at a time. I havent been driving for a few years as i couldnt afford to buy a car and all the costs related to it.

I have been on the fence about whether I should buy a car or not because of the travel with my job. when I am home its generally for two or three weeks and the lack of a car is very difficult because i have to travel nearly 2 hours on public transport to get to work and the same to get home. That been said I dont like the idea of having an insured car sitting on my driveway for weeks on end not been used.

So my question is:

Is it possible to pause my insurance while i am out of country?

If this was possible i would be more inclined to purchase a car.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Most insurers will allow credit for suspension of cover for a period of more than 30 consecutive days. Remember, this will mean no cover for the vehicle sitting in your driveway. You must return your certificate and disc to avail of this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Are you prepared to take the risk of it being stolen or damaged while not insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭zg3409

You can get medium term hire with insurance from enterprise and other hire companies. Off summer peak pricing may not be crazy. You would need to return car each time although they might collect.

Insurance costs long term may not be high , compared to depreciation in value of car.

Once you have built up 5+ years no claims insurance will be less than 500 a year while depreciation/ repairs may be 2000+ per year.

For those who work month on month off on oil rigs etc there is insurance discounts. There are also discounts for low annual mileage.

Make sure you get a car that's extra cheap to insure.

Advertisement