Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I cannot get through a full day of work and I don't know what to do.

• 01-10-2022 7:29pm

I'm in a job as an analyst. In a way I'm lucky as the job is not too tough but also not too easy. There's enough work to keep me busy during throughout the day.

The thing is I cannot sit there from 9-5. I'm constantly having to get up from my desk, which annoys others. I'm doing this many times every day

I'm constantly getting distracted. Thinking about other things when I should be thinking about work.

In school I was the same. Could never get through the full day. Constantly going home "Sick". In college I attended about 40% of my lectures.

I'm constantly having to get up and move around. Is anyone else here like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Tio07

Have you ever looked into being on the spectrum? It sounds like you are mind/body is subconsciously seeking out movement breaks.

I am very like that too and once I educated myself on it I just built it into my day so that it was more controlled less disruptive.

You might get better or more relevant responses in Personal issues forum.

A few things to consider besides getting professional advice which I wouldn’t at all rule out as I think you might benefit from it:

1. are you introverted or extroverted? If you crave human contact and interaction and the people you work with are more withdrawn then certainly this is a sign that you need more interaction
    2. is everything very methodical in the office- step by step like? Ordered? And you prefer spontaneity? If so, again nothing wrong, it’s just the work and the peoples preferred ways of working don’t suit your preferred ways of working.

that’s my tuppance worth- nothing in your opening post leads me to believe you have a “problem”- it’s more that the nature of the work and how it’s completed in your work environment is not to your preferred ways of working - but grant me, I’ve just reacted and responded to a relatively small post so I’m not here to be an expert- just something to consider and rule in or out as appropriate

if your company has EAP, and especially if a number of sessions are free, absolutely use it. Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Perhaps you need more variety in what you do? This could be a mix of meeting people, sitting a desk/PC work etc. I echo the previous posters comments on being introverted and extroverted. There is nothing negative in this, it's just the way you are wired and by understanding it more and generating self awareness it will help you deal with it.

Another suggestion is looking at a personality test such as Myers Briggs which will give you an insight into your style of how you do things. I am not an expert on this and others may be more helpful around it.

The thing is, as I mentioned before, this has always been a problem. Not just in work

In school I could never stay there the full day. I remember in 5th year I missed around 25 days, went home early another 20.I just scraped through the leaving cert , same thing with college. I couldn't sit through the lectures, skipped most of them. I couldn't sit at my desk and study the notes. I just wanted to get up and move around all the time.

When watching tv I have to get up, even if it's something I really want to watch like a football match. My concentration is all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭ax530

Could you get a standing desk?

I'd be surprised if someone stayed all day sitting at desk. Many people I work with often walk around if on calls, spend some time standing at desk. Take coffee breaks and move in out meeting rooms ect.

Even in school now children take brain breaks, movement breaks ect so can see why need these types things at work too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Sounds like classic ADHD.

Get it officially diagnosed, and if it is there is great medication nowadays for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

I'd guess we're not really evolved to be sitting down in the one place for long periods. As a species we've a much longer history of hunting and running around.

Also if you throw caffeine and/or sugar into the mix you're going to feel the necessity to expend energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

One of the best researchers I worked with used to walk around the carpark to help him think . Maybe just go for a walk? I guess you're employer needs to be on board with that too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Don’t worry about it I say. I’m the same I couldn’t stay at my desk all day, I’m up every 20 to 30 mins. I’m just a restless individual. I still get a good days work done but it’s done in bursts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

ADHD/ADD I wonder. Perhaps speak to your GP if you're concerned and you could get a referral for an assessment if required.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement

EAP then- either through company or private - it’s obviously on your mind - ignore the “diagnosis” on a discussion forum - it’s affecting your work life and quite possibly your non-work life- get it checked out- the solution may be simpler than you think and more common than you’re aware - so don’t be at all downhearted about this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

Can you build activity into the day. Eg start earlier and take a longer break at eg 11. Later lunch. And try do some activity at those times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 410 ✭✭embracingLife

You'll be waiting a long time to get an Adhd diagnosis, waiting list is very long, up to a year.

Already had the assessment done. They said I don't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Trondheim

Where did you get the assessment done? Did you tell them what you have told us? Did they offer any explanation or make any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Work blows OP. School too. Being mandated to be anywhere against your will is always going to elicit a flight reaction.

I don't think it needs anymore diagnosis than that. The only thing that keeps me working is needing money to enjoy my free time.

If you can't hold down a job then maybe a doctor is required, otherwise you're like the vast majority of the working population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

You're supposed to get up every hour and walk a bit, have a cup etc when working a desk job. So that way this is not a bad thing. I feel it helps with concentration too.

• This all sounds exactly like me, in new year I will go about getting a formal adhd diagnosis. Born restless, unable to focus, rarely slept as a baby, in the 60s I was termed “a hyperactive child”. At leaving cert I was totally u decided about anything, got a series of college places, walked out of all. Very easily distracted, highly impatient, sometimes hyper-focussed, exotropia of eyes, classic adhd attributes. I only just about plodded through my job with a view to the pension which I now have. Thankfully my overall IQ is normal and in spatial reasoning I score highly, so I tend to learn by manipulating shapes and vectors in my visual cortex.

Advertisement