Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Man's Sky

Options
  • 02-10-2022 9:37am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭

No Man's Sky is soon to be with us.

I happened to buy this on release, for the PS4, and put a few hours into it since.

I was not disappointed, upon launch, as many seemed to be.

The game, even in that state, was still offering far more than any title before, in terms of both ambition and what it delivered.

Since then, on the formats that have hosted it, the game has expanded and been refined into one of the most impressive titles on any system right now.

And now it is coming, somehow, to the Switch.

As I have played it I reckon that a dedicated thread is going to be very useful to other people dipping into this title.

The game is vast, literally, and has masses of things to do, and I think some mutual support will be essential!

Anyways, it should be here in a week, I have the digital copy pre-ordered and ready to play on 7th of October.

I can't wait!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Would be lying if I said I wasn't excited ... but am also very cautious about the performance of this thing. Of course there'll be some nips and tucks with any port, but it depends on how much effort and intelligence went into the port in the first place.. hopefully then compromises are sensible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Same, I am a little worried about the limits on this hardware, particularly frame rate and draw distance.

I am waaaay to long in the tooth for objects popping in 2 metres away!

But, the Switch trailers, assuming they aren't lying, look very nice indeed and if the expansions are all also coming, it is going to be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

.... did anyone try it on VR ? I have it on PS4/5 here and it says its VR compatible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ì did, and I did not like it at all.

Not because of nausea, just felt janky.

Tomorrow folks...

I am probably more excited about this launch than any other in quite a while.

It is quite a feat to get this ported onto the Switch, on par with Doom/Eternal and Dark Souls.

Just hope to the gods that they don't feck this up!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sounds like this was a proper port, and has performed minor miracles to get things running smooth. Consistent 30fps with only some occasional glitching (and that sounds like it could be patched easily enough)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Box says 6 years of updates so I'm thinking that must be all the PS4 and Xbox one's since original release bought both this and Nier as Chaos double never arrived, am looking forward to playing No Man's Sky for the very first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭eggy81

So how does it play for anyone who went in.

Plays very well, visuals are a bit of a downgrade, but that's to be expected.

Everything else is there, I started a new game and the opening tutorial is much better, and the whole thing feels just right.

Apparently, there is more to come with the full Waypoint update to arrive in the coming days.

The reliable Digital Foundry channel have run their eyes across the Switch port; the draw distance does look pretty nasty in places TBH.

• Advertisement

It absolutely does, but the gameplay is all there, and the latest update means you can really tailor the title to suit portable, short burst play times.

I'm very happy with it

Advertisement