Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent to a friend @ reduced price

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

That happened in the Zhang case. It didn't go well for the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

ok- I’ll see if I can find details on that, have you a link please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

A little story.

A family member was looking for somewhere to live 3 years ago when their landlord sold up. They couldnt find anywhere. Another family member then offered them the use of their really nice holiday home for a very cheap rent until they found a place of their own. They often let all of the rest of us use it for weekends if we ask nicely and they arent using it.

Roll on 3 years. The other family member (they are both cousins I should say and used to be very close) only intended them to be in it for a couple of months and not 3 years and havent got to use their holiday home in 3 years. Theres always a sob story about why they cant move out. No consideration at all given to the fact that this is a property the owner who bought the property and wants to use what they bought it for.

So a couple of months ago the owners have put the foot down and said they have to be out before Christmas. Sob stories continue and now the owners are greedy scum putting them out at Christmas according to the family in the house. If they left when they were asked it would have been nowhere near Christmas.

Anyway to make a long story short. The people living in the house think its theirs now and the owners are evil for wanting their holiday home back. The ones who own it never wanted to rent it and only did it as a short favour to tide them over. Now everyone on the family is being asked to take sides and lots have fallen out over it.

Never rent to friends or relatives unless you want that relationship to suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

And for balance, see my little story upthread about renting off a friend for almost 10 years without issue and moving out when I was asked when she wanted to sell the house.

I'm back living at home since because I couldn't find anywhere else, but - shock horror - we're still friends because I understand the concept of ownership and that the house was her asset to dispose of when she wanted.

With all these horror stories people are falling over themselves to post here I genuinely have to wonder what kind of arseholes many of you are friends with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

A house in kildare lowered the rent to assist a tenant who was struggling. Now this is the "normal" rent and the LL is locked into it as it in in a RPZ. Being nice, he managed to shaft himself. Beware being nice.

Post edited by mondeoman72 on

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ghostofchrimbo

It's a sad state of affairs.

To purposefully walk the country into a situation where its own people are afraid to help their friends for fear of making their own lives worse.

If housing were food, and the question posed was whether to share food with a friend who needs food, but a lot of the advice is to be careful, because your ration of food may be reduced if you try to help? What a shameful state to be in.

An enemy government would love this as a weapon, yet who created it?

There'll be a hefty price for this in the end no matter what form it takes. Self-cannabilism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭mikemac2

You are a kind soul OP but in a few years time when you want the property back to sell or some other life plan you will be labelled as greedy and heartless.

And some of your mutual friends will go against you also no matter how well you explain the situation.

If you were renting a room the friend could move in and that would work well but that is not the case and I don’t advise to keep a room for yourself and direct some letters there so it seems you live there. It comes up on the forum a lot as some clever original idea to get tax free rent a room rent and deny the person a tenancy but it isn’t right

Take your time to decide what to do, the place is empty so you have time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,933 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Amazed at all the people thinking the RPZ is some strictly monitored policy with some central database. Its like everything else in Ireland, zero enforcement because the place is owned and run by landlords for the benefit of landlords, Im in Limerick city and any LL I know doesn't give a crap, they're praying tenants will move out so they can whack on another 20-40% raise on the next poor fool, and they'll pay it because they have no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I think you are missing the point here :)

My story was just an example of one case where it went wrong. Im not saying everyone will do it by a long shot. Let me ask you though, What would you have done if you didnt find someone else to take you in at the time it was sold?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

At a guess you are a single person and you have a sense of honour. In the case of the holiday homw I suspect that the friend that moved in had a partner and maybe family. I also suspect that the owner gav them reduced rent. problem is you can no longer do favours where property is concerned.

the person living in the holiday home, what has he done for the three year, has he saved towards a deposit for a house. I suspect not I suspect he is a freeloader. he has had a cheap house for three years and has redirected his income in to lifestyle spending

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

This isn't true. RPZ is strictly monitored and there is a central database. LLs have to register every year and write down in the database exactly what rent they are charging. Even if the house/apartment has changed hands the rent can only be increased 2%.

If you know that the rent has increased 20-40% you could move in and call the RTB to investigate it, the LLs haven't a leg to stand on.

For the OP, I'd simply put it up "for sale" until my friend stopped looking, then suddenly it would no longer be for sale due to "terrible market condition, no buyers etc"

Advertisement