Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insured lapsed for 4 days

Options
  • 02-10-2022 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Hi, went on holidays and my wife forgot to renew car insurance. On Monday it’ll have lapsed for 4 days. Will she face any issues renewing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No, a few days will be overlooked but you currently have no cover (no days of grace with motor insurance) so get it renewed ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Renew it now online?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Assuming you have the renewal notice just make the payment now by EFT.

OP, if you're not using the car today and you can renew it online, do it after midnight. Otherwise you'll be paying for today, if only part of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

I did the same,caused me a bit of hassle on the phone, and the pricing had changed.

• Advertisement

Phoning them puts you at risk of a price hike. Because they know you will potentially have a problem getting quotes from other companies when your policy has lapsed. And you've lost your ability to negotiate a discount from the renewal price.

So you're pretty well cornered and the best bet (after only 4 days) is to try the online renewal and if the payment is accepted, you're home and dry. I expect the clock will eventualy run out and they will refuse an online renewal after maybe 7 or 14 days but it's definitely worth the OP trying the online renewal when the policy only expired four days ago.

Post edited by coylemj on

Advertisement