Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another sheep fencing grant question

Options
  • 02-10-2022 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭

hi there, i've a lot of fencing done over the last few years but recently got back into sheep so have more to do & wondering if it's worth the hassle to apply for the TAMS grant?

how does one get the proposed cost? i could be getting a contractor to do it, do i need to get an idea from them first?

i see on an old article that the reference cost was 5.34 euro per M

regarding the gateway, reference 299 euro ,

any advise appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

It’s very straightforward really. I got the ag advisor to submit the the application. Once approved you can work away. You will need to use material that is approved by the department. I used tams three different times for fencing and got inspected before hand once but never afterwards. I don’t know what the reference costs are now but it’s 40 or 60 per cent of that you will get of a grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

yes go for tams , claim the vat and get the grant,

I was one of the first to apply for fencing (deffo the first in my county), had about 4 inspections but most of them were just checking on the dept. personnel , and were apologetic for the intrusion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭jfh

Did you get a contractor or do the work yourself? Did you have to wait long for approval? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,203 ✭✭✭orm0nd

we done it ourselves, cant remember but wasn;t waiting too long , had an inspection before and 2 afterwards but it was checking the work of the dept more than anything,

if you get a contractor check their c2 is is in order

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

What’s the going rate now for fencing contractors?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Quick question on the number of sheep required to be eligible for the TAMS grant. Have taken the below from the dept.document TARGETED AGRICULTURAL MODERNISATION SCHEME II (TAMS II)

"To qualify for sheep fencing an applicant must own and possess a yearly average of 40 adult sheep (weaned lamb or older) at time of application or at the latest by the date the claim is submitted for payment. Applicants must maintain a sheep enterprise for at least five years from the date of payment of grant aid"

I though before the 40 sheep had to be breeding ewes and that you would have to had declared this in your sheep census at the end of the year. But this just seems to indicate adult sheep, so going by that am i right in thinking a ram and wether lambs (once weaned) can also be counted.

Also does it still take as long to be approved, i was hoping to do some fencing next april/may so would i need to apply now, only problem i only have 29 sheep now, would i need to up to 40 before i apply, or if i had them before the census was completed at the end of the year would that do, or is it the date the claim is submitted for payment (as stated above) does that mean when the work is done and you look for payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Jimbo789

Would there be any issue buying creosote stakes and posts next year before they are banned, once the receipts were kept, even if they were purchased before approval was given for the grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Tileman

Unfortunately I think the invoices. Cant be before the grant is approved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭jfh

lads, applied for this on 3rd oct, it's at "ready for pre approval" stage for a while now, does it usually take long after this to get full approval?

Advertisement