Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property tax - not paid

Options
  • 03-10-2022 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Hi everyone, I have a friend who got a house 3 years ago purchased the old family home while living away they moved home but didnt live in property they didnt pay property tax through unknown knowledge they assumed you had to be living in the property due to being away in a diff country they were unaware. they got a letter recently of a fee of 2100 which included a fine, just wondering is it too late to file the property online now or does the full 2100 have to be paid this included a penalty thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭dennyk

Your friend can talk to Revenue, but if their only justification is "I didn't know I was supposed to pay my taxes...", I'd say the chances of getting the penalty reduced are probably slim. Either way it would be in their best interest to engage Revenue as soon as possible and make arrangements to pay the liability owed and file their late LPT returns properly (and of course start filing and paying on time in future years).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Ignorance is not a defence !

"they didnt pay property tax through unknown knowledge ...... "

Is there any chance that you could tell us some more about this "unknown knowledge" - it sounds fascinating! 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

My mother got a letter asking to pay the arrears. No mention of a fine. 2100 is a lot for 3 years. What part was the fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

lads im only the messagner im not justyfing not paying taxes Fine with the smart comments lads but this person was living in asia and only returned recently. they had not been in the country and recieved the letters when they went in to the house they had not even been home. il get him to contact revenue and see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭dennyk

Just for future reference, if you move abroad, always make sure to update your mailing address with Revenue. It's possible a penalty surcharge could have been avoided if your friend had responded to Revenue straight away, but after multiple attempts to engage without a response, they're a lot less likely to waive penalties. Revenue had no way of knowing that your friend wasn't living at that property and wasn't receiving their letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Thanks Danny , very true i dont think the property tax didnt even cross there mind they have been licing away for 12 years im not condoing not paying tax or anything at all i just wanted to see was there a way of the penalty being avoided and back paying all thats owed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭cml387

It's always a "friend", isn't it.

Anyway my experience was that I completely forgot to pay for one year two or three years ago. When I did pay the most recent bill I got reminded that I was owing a previous year. So I just paid it , there was no penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Generally if the LPT people are contacted and an arrangement is made to pay such as direct debit they may mitigate the fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭cml387

The minimum you'll get away with is paying the full arrears incidentally. It's not clear whether the €2100 uncludes teh fine.

• Advertisement

Living in Asia doesn't prevent people from checking out the situation back home on a property that they own. Especially when LPT was the talk of the nation for months around its introduction in 2013/14.

Revenue's position on non-compliance/non-payment of LPT is set out here:- https://www.revenue.ie/en/property/local-property-tax/what-happens-if-you-do-not-comply/index.aspx It refers to an interest charge of 8% per annum and points out that additional (unspecified) penalties may also apply.

Has your property owning friend filed their revised LPT valuation for 2022 and future years yet? If not then that's a MUST DO!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

If a self employed person doesn't pay the full LPT the can suffer a penalty surcharge bof 10% of their income tax for that year.

Advertisement