Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options on Degiro

Options
  • 03-10-2022 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi All, anyone using Degiro for Options? It's something I plan on doing in the future, just wondering is it a good platform to use. Or maybe there is a better one we have access to? Ideally a practice platform would be good, will be a year or 2 before I plan on going that route. Any advice or experience is very welcome. Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

Have used DeGiro for them in the past. They offer a limited range of options for major markets, and some popular stocks. For stocks, there does not tend to be a whole lot of activity on them so the issuer tends to set the price. What that means for you is, say if you tried to buy Tesla put options, you would be paying 10-20% over the typical market rate, while if you were selling it would be for 10-20% below the typical market rate.

Major market indexes are priced a bit better because of higher activity. Only thing I would advise here is to make sure you know what you stand to gain if things perform the way you expect. Implied volativity has been high for over a year now so you need pretty significant shifts before you are in the money. I bought puts on Tesla at the start of the year at almost an ideal time, and was only briefly in the positive on them due to the high IV. In the end I sold them at minor loss. Options are really a hot potatoe you want to dump as soon as you are in profit so you need a good understanding of at what price that will happen. There are some calculators online, would advise running numbers on these before even thinking about buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 peacock20

Thanks for that, appreciate it. I will absolutely be doing a lot of homework before I go near this stuff, I know it's no where near as easy as some will have you believe. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I used Intereacactive Brokers for Options, much better setup that Degiro.

Start slow!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 peacock20

I'll do that, thanks Shedite

Advertisement