Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl prices don't include VAT?

Options
  • 03-10-2022 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32 chrissym

Hey all,

I just noticed on my receipt that certain products are marked with class C vat applicable. The vat is calculated at the end of the receipt.

BUT I looked at the prices of a good few of the items in the shop, and they are the EXACT same as the prices on the receipt. The vat was added after.

For example, shweppes tonic was 1.90 in the shop. It is marked at 1.90 in the receipt also and all the class C items tax is marked at the end.

I added all items together and it came to around 275, but the total is 304 and the vat of those items was marked as 33 euro on the receipt.

Is there a legal issue here? I didn't see any sign on the price tags that it excluded vat...

Thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

my experience is that they charge you the price advertised at the till.

how they break it down on the receipt doesn't interest me much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Can you put up the full receipt?

You've probably miscalculated somewhere - the numbers you gave above don't add up - the ones on the receipt do add up.

The price on the aisle and on your receipt is VAT inclusive - the breakout at the end is just for reference

• The prices on the shelves and receipt all include VAT (whether it's zero rated, reduce or full rate of VAT). Then the breakdown of VAT is showing the amount of VAT charged and already included in the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,788 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The prices include VAT, where applicable. The VAT figure(s) are provided for convenience, not as part of the total calculation

Add up all the prices shown again, carefully and you'll get the price you paid. You missing something(s) - your figures wouldn't even make sense if they were ex-VAT prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 chrissym

You're right. I'm a dumbass.i did it 3 times and got the same result earlier. Sorry guys

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭CoffeeImpala

177.59 is the vat inclusive price. 33.21 is the VAT in that amount.

177.59/1.23 is 144.31, which is the ex-VAT amount, and finally 144.31 * 0.23 = 33.19, the VAT amount allowing for rounding in the individual prices.

Advertisement