Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Shares

• 04-10-2022 9:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭

Bought shares years ago in local bank but they dont do it anymore.

If you wanted to buy one off 5K of shares in a company where is best place to go ? , not interested in trading just a one off purchase which id hopefully sell in 5/10 years time .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

DeGiro?

Davy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Economics101

Two comments: the last poster was correct in principle about diversification. However if you have just €5k to invest then the scope for diversification is somewhat limited due to the costs (time researching and broker's fees) which could swallow up much of the returns. Secondly while ETFs are in many respects a good idea, the "deemed disposal" rule for Capital Gains can be a real pain. You need to research this a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Quitelife

what im looking for is an execution only one off charge from whoever ....i thought i would get a share certificate and when i want to sell them go back into sell them with my share cert in 5/6 years time...when i buy the shares and when i sell the shares not a quartely fee...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Economics101

All I know is that Davy charge a quarterly fee even for an execution-only arrangement ,which would make them uneconomic for you. So I suppose degiro might be better. BTW for online dealing, there are no share certs as far as I know, but you probably should have pdf of contract notes when buying and selling in case you are so lucky as to make chargeable capital gains.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The shares you buy via an execution only broker are usually in the name of a nominees account and there is an extra charge for deliver of the share certificate as they will have to be registered with the company in your name first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement