Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depeche Mode - Malahide, June 14th 2023.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Oh I removed my list because basically I liked every song 😁 and put on the set list instead. John the Revelator, world in my eyes, never let me down again, personal Jesus, walking in my shoes, enjoy the silence, waiting for the night ... Brilliant.

Never let me down again was amazing and everyone swinging arms in unison left to right, I think in the entire field. 😁

Didn't see tears. Was in the golden circle, so I barely looked at the TV screens and too far to see tears or too blind 😁 but it's an emotional moment for them and the new album covers all of that and the end of things. Some cracking tunes off the new album too.

Ah, delighted to get to see them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Atmosphere in Malahide much better.

The crowd was incredible, singing along and doing everything asked of us like good (slaves) fans!

Just getting back out for me was the issue, but still on a high.

And less of the "dad dancing" please! He was dancing like that in the 80s 😊

I was back half way, near the Fletch banana!

Loved the crowd.. That same reaction was all the way around behind us as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Peter Gordeno on keyboards, bass and vocals and Christian Eigner on drums. Both are longterm DM collaborators and touring musicians and have also worked on Martin and Dave's solo projects, respectively.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Very good.

Your pics are amazing delbert.

So clear, professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Thanks very much. They're just taken on a phone, but when I'm that close, I can get lucky.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

A really great concert. I enjoyed every bit of it. Very well organised too. We got the dart back into town. Had planned to move to exit during encore but was enjoying it too much.

Up early to drive home now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Thanks Fanirish...Wow, always remember paying €30 max. I understand they have to make maximum profit, quick check online and they ballpark at €20. Touring t-shirts would differ with tour dates on the back, Jeez I'm getting old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Yup - can’t help but think they’d sell a ton more and make more money at half the price. Didn’t see anyone even talking to the merchandise sellers. But I’m sure someone has worked out the margins.

Great gig though. Didn’t know a lot of the songs but enjoyed every one anyway. Watched a bit of Primavera and was worried about Dave’s voice but those concerns were put to bed early on. Will go again if/when they return.

Post edited by Collie D on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

I’d say it trying to maximise revenue whilst carrying limited stock especially with brexit nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 19 XxCigiXx

Agree with you there, was gobsmacked there was no one to control all the cars leaving, especially the ones parked at the back, it was a free for all! But the concert was amazing so worth the lack of sleep today 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭opus

My first time at Malahide Castle & really glad I made the trek from Cork as DM put on a great show. I didn't expect to hear "Just Can't Get Enough" in the encore but it was fantastic!

Only downside is being at work this morning after < 3 hours sleep but well worth it 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kg703

Really enjoyed the gig and I thought it was very well organised. Queues for toilets and bars were minimal - bar queue got long right before Depeche Mode came on, to be expected. My only small gripe is having one or two darts to continue southbound. You are pushed to take public transport but when the dart leaves you only to town and its after 11:30, you then have to get a taxi. But they did get everyone on the train pretty quick have to say.

Good weather, great music, good day out!

Also - I'm a big Young Fathers fan so the abrupt leaving with loud distorted noises would be part of their whole unsettling vibe, kinda their shtick. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Was wondering that about Young Fathers

Cheer up lads you're getting paid well ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Yeah, I love them and was hoping they'd win themselves some new fans yesterday, not sure how it was at the front but I didn't feel they got much of a reaction. I was bopping away to Toy, beaming, but nafa from the crowd around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

My 30th DM concert…..and all things considered it’s up there to be fair. That said, I always prefer their indoor concerts….maybe that’s just me?

€50 for an official T shirt is a bit rich though. That said, I always remember the line from the 101 concert dvd where they took in over $1million in T shirt sales ON THAT NIGHT ALONE - and that was in 1988!!!

Set List was almost exactly like most of the recent gigs, but sadly for me no “Condemnation” (a personal fave) which has usually followed “Waiting For The Night”. The WFTN performance was excellent though.

I absolutely hate Malahide as a venue from a logistics POV though, esp. leaving. Hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

What was carpark like? First 'Mode show i've missed in Ireland in 20 years cuzve Malahide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Brilliant gig. Malahide is far bigger than I remember, it didn't feel anywhere near as big when I was at Arcade Fire a few years ago. Felt like a festival

I could have done without Just Can't Get Enough, their weakest song by far IMO, would have preferred Policy of Truth or pretty much anything else. But overall a great night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Kilteragh

I was at the Killers on the same day last year, driving up from Limerick with wife and 2 older teenagers. Last year car park was a complete shitshow with hours spent getting in and out afterwards.

This year we decided to take the day off and go for lunch in Dublin. Booked the Marathon Car Park same as last year. Left the The Spire Car Park at 4.05pm and breezed in the gate at 5.05pm to be parked in the Pavillion Car Park. Different parking system this year. After the concert we left the Gold Circle just as Never Let Me Down was finishing. We headed straight for the car and were one of the first to leave via the Pavillion gate and were directed left. M50 was very well signposted and sat nav helped prevent us from heading back into traffic. This all went swimmingly compared to last year. Only slight hiccup was when finally back on M50 there were roadworks for a couple of miles. Why? Why not just suspend that for 2 hours at this time. Probably not that simple but still I would imagine Co. Councils have to liaise with people re big events. It didn't hamper us too much but I know others were stuck a fair bit more. Anyway this for us is the way to do Malahide Castle. It does cost us both a day off but you know what? It was worth it.

Now to the gig. I don't want to be too harsh on Just Mustard. They seem to be a young band starting out. I think the lead singer may have something but it was hard to tell as she seemed to just drone the same lines over and over with a semi-Dolores O'Riordan vibe. I like my rock loud but the mostly one note distortion pedal guitar got old quickly. Maybe I'm being harsh so good luck to them. Their bass nearly gave everyone a heart attack when it started off and many moved back. Even DM weren't this loud.

Young Fathers were a step up and were excellent at what they do. No complaints.

This was my first time seeing Depeche Mode and they didn't disappoint. Dave Gahan is one of the best frontmen out there and Martin Gore is just amazing. We knew what the setlist would be and knew 80% of the songs to at least some degree. We loved it. The crowd in general seemed to love it and the sunshine had everybody in a great mood. We were in the Golden Circle and so close to the boys when they came down that we could have had a conversation with them. Great experience.

The only thing I thought was off was the synth on Never Let Me Down. At one stage I thought he had missed his queue but it seemed consistent throughout the song. Maybe it was a mix thing or maybe just me.

Great gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭boomdocker

what do you mean by the 'Pavilion Car Park' - is that the one operated by Marathon?

I thought it was very well organised. Dart home was great. I like the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Kilteragh

I think they were all run by Marathon but could be wrong as nobody checked our carpark ticket until just before we parked in our space (last year our ticket wasn't checked at all). As we came in the gate we were directed to the right past the sports pitches (which were car spaces last year) and towards a pavilion beside the playground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Really enjoyed that. The vocals hold up really well compared to so many of the 'older' bands on the circuit these days. Highlights were 'never let me down', 'Precious' and 'Everything Counts', but it was all good to be honest (only exception being 'My Cosmos is Mine'). A real high energy performance and seemed to enjoy the crowds reaction. Young Fathers were just finishing up when we got in as we misjudged the time (pre-beers were too tasty)

Queues were ok for everything. Felt really busy but was never packed anywhere if that makes sense. Managed to go a bit arseways on the walk out trying to get out the gate by Swords Road, so added a bit to the journey, but really can't complain as I was staying nearby.

Now on to Blur and another visit to lovely Malahide!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The Cure were charging €25 in Dublin last December. €50 seems very high

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Quick q.

Which gate did you go in - the one on Back Road that leads up the Castle itself? Or the one on Back Road beside the playground?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

My 8th DM gig last night and first outdoor. I really enjoyed it but much prefer seeing them indoors. There was a large contingent in attendance who were there to hear Everything Counts and Just can’t get enough. These outdoor events cater for this audience but they seemed bemused with the darker tunes DM have made their trademark.

Sound was deafening for both support acts, which was painful as I thought both were awful, but the volume seemed lower for the headline act?

I reluctantly purchased a €50 t shirt. Shocking price but a beautiful design none the less.

Great performance from the band. Gahan is a force of nature. His energy levels haven’t dropped since I first seen him perform in the Point 30 years ago.. Fletch’s absence has not affected the bands performance in anyway.

I know both Gahan and Gore thought long and hard about going back in the road again for this tour. Not sure they will tour again after this so it’s important to see DM and other acts from this generation while you can.

slight disappointment “Speak to me” from the new album didn’t get an outing as it has been played regularly on this tour but a small gripe about what was a very very good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Sad but true about outdoor gigs. They tend to attract the one gig a year folk who just want to drink beer in the sun and talk through the songs they don't know. And then when a song they do know comes on they whip out their phones and record it and take a million selfies

• Advertisement

It was my one gig in 7 years ha!

I last saw them in 2006 in UK. Dave Gahan was a force of nature back then and still great.

Advertisement