Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depeche Mode - Malahide, June 14th 2023.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Great show! Had Gold Circle which turned out great, got right next to the end of the walkway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

The phone thing was mad. I know it's par for the course to whip the phone out very now again for a quick picture...but there were lads in front of us holding the phones up and filming for entire songs. Could barely see the stage at points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

All acts need to be like Tool and have a zero tolerance policy towards taking videos and photos during the show apart from the last song. Although might be tricky to police in a venue like Malahide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭cannco253

Long time fan and have seen them a few times. Thought the first half had too many slow burners and needed a bit more energy.

Picked up massively after the Martin Gore interlude and the final run through was great - could have done without I just can’t get enough but probably have to play it at outdoor events to keep the peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Think a group of guys decided to take business into there own hands near the gold circle instead of walking to the toilets. Chucked out I imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Kilteragh

I'm not sure how best to describe it. After we came in the GAA pitches were immediately on the right and we were turned on to a cordoned-off single lane route along the grass parallel with the Back Road over the wall (pitches now on our left as we headed towards the Pavilion / Playground direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I took one 10 seconds video of the intro to Personal Jesus and one photo just for the record but that's it. Main reason is most gig photos look the same looking back. Well run venue, my first gig at malahide.

My son pointed out 1 guy near us who was doing Facebook Live during the gig. I just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭citycentre

Suggestion: If you are stuck behind someone who is wrecking your head recording everything and blocking your view with their feckin phone, sing along really loudly and badly. Trust me they soon put the phone away... One song is fair enough but people holding up the phone for the entire gig really riles me...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 paul29163

Traffic was grand, getting out of venue was hectic but well organized. Roads leading from Castle busy but moving. Overall not too bad an experience.

great show btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Lads, people who spend their gig lives on phones are not on the Boards music forum. We're all knowledgeable, world wise, cultured models of musical etiquette. You're preaching to the converted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

Ah I wish it was last night again. Had so much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭the 12 th man

Anybody old enough here to remember Peter Gordeno's late father (also Peter),great singer and dancer but not this genre..😊

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I think that was the Disabled carpark last year. Had a friend park there.

The Cure are very good at restricting their prices for merch and tickets.

Robert Smith caused uproar in the States when he got on to the promoters over there to cancel all their expensive high price tickets and resell at the prices he stipulated. 😁

Was a big headache for the promoters but they did as they were told because he threatened to pull out of sold out arena concerts!

Well done The Cure 🖤

Loved the golden circle, got to the back barrier for most of the set

Only downside is the walk to the toilets from there

Haha very good.

Most peope around me will have my singing off key on their videos anyway!

To be honest I don't mind the filming so much as the constant talking loudly during songs, laughing and turning around taking selfies!

Luckily we were amongst all hardened fans with basic /useless phones between us

Plenty of bad singing along and great fun. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

He was also in the TV series, UFO, as was Gabrielle Drake, older sister of Nick Drake. Again, not this genre.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Haha, well before my time 😊

Peter Gordeno Sr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

It's kinda ridiculous that people can't dance or clap or sing 'cause they've got their phones out. The golden circle was pretty bad for this. Maybe it's the more ardent fans who have to record everything. So maybe that's it ?

I only got the golden circle tickets as these were all that were available when I booked. But definitely worth it for an extra 10 euro.

I had to ask a tall guy in front of us who had his phone held up high the whole time to take his phone down as he was blocking everyone's view. Which he did.

Yep, the first band was ridiculously loud. Wore earplugs for the first time ever during their entire set. Young fathers and especially DM did not have this problem at all. Which is good, cause I didn't want to wear ear plugs for, and didn't for DM.

I definitely prefer an indoor concert, but yesterday got a pass because it was a beautiful day.

Don't buy merchandise as it's usually poor quality for a high price and it's not for me.

Re parking for Malahide, it's the back road carpark. The earlier you book with Marathon the cheaper. Also, if you arrive early you can get parking near the exit. We were in and out and away in no time at all.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

Definitely found that about 'Just Mustard' and the PA music before hand. I have a 'sensory issue' so assumed it was just that acting up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Nope it was stupidly loud. But absolutely fine for DM. Keep meaning to buy proper concert earplugs, but the ones I had were fine for blocking out the sound. My OH used tissue paper. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Stewards handed out a few pairs of earplugs to people up the front during Just Mustard. Far too loud.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

I was walking in and was freaking out as it was so loud. Absolutely grand after that though. I wouldn’t have been able to stick that. I brought my AirPods but glad I didn’t need them. I was hopping around a fair bit so fair risk of losing one.

Just thinking about the massive songs (for me anyway) they could have included:

Blasphemous Rumours

People Are People

Shake The Disease

Barrel of a Gun

Massive and Servant

Strangelove

Policy Of Truth

A Question of Time

A Question of Lust

What a back catalogue they have.

This was the tour in 2005 that I last saw them. Tried to see them three times since and failed for various reasons.

I can’t think of a better frontman.

https://youtu.be/aWGzr-kOoQY

I made a comment about Dave Gahan's Abs before.. 😜And his dancing!

For men in their early 60s he and Martin Gore are incredibly fit , and I think given his past history of drugtaking and overdose, he is an model of how to grow old well and look after yourself.

That level of activity for over 2.15 hours in the heat.. Very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Aladdin Sane

Some of my shots from the Malahide show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I got 'A Question of Lust' in Bern as part of the Martin bit was great, No 'Home' played though.

Advertisement