Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depeche Mode - Malahide, June 14th 2023.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The Hot Press review refers to the crowd. "They come in all shapes and sizes, many in DM T-shirts parading legacies of previous gigs, a fair few eternal alt-teenagers and various striking peacocks – a man in full Freddie Mercury royal cape and crown..."

Eh, I think you'll find... 😊👑

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Was away all day yesterday and just getting the chance to pop my memories down now.

I clearly remember my ears pricking up when I heard Dreaming of Me back in 81, from then on it was every album, every remix single and all the US and Japan imports. The Violator US issued trio of WIME, ETS and POL remain my favourite CD singles of all time with class remixes and b sides that I still listen to regularly. Isn't it amazing the way we've gone from 12" singles played to death to .flac rips in the car and my DM mixtape album is over 100 album tracks with another rip of nearly 200 remixes, ETS Quad Mix anyone!!

Speak and Spell was soooooo good and without taking anything from subsequent albums it was Violator that next blew me away, I thought they would never better that but I do have an argument with myself that although it does not have better songs Ultra is their best album, it just seems to be a more complete piece of work. Exciter was sh1te.

I am fearful that was my 4th and last DM gig, looking at their album turnaround they will most likely be pensioners for the next album. Their age was visible on the big screen and whilst Martin has not has his stage antics impacted in the slightest Dave has very obviously slowed down, he was a lot more standing and concentrating on his vocals than previous flying around in circles with the mic stand. This is not a criticism and Dave deffo left something in the tank for both I Feel You which lifted the crowed after a few of the slower songs and the ETS as well as the last two. Thankfully I got to bring my young DM constructed fan with me so she got to see them in full swing.

Only tickets I could get was Gold Circle and delighted, walked in after the YF and about 6/7 bodies from the front with ample space around the jump up and down and play my imaginary keyboards. Alas, as above, they could be retired now which is a shame, never missed a beat in all the DM concerts I brought them too.

I much preferred the remixed live versions of John The Revelator and A Pain That I'm Used To, way better mixes than the album tracks but I would have like to lose one of them for an earlier song, Get The Balance Right is one of my personal favourites from that era (along with Leave in Silence which I think Martin revived a few tours back) and would have been great to hear live.

I enjoyed all the songs, even the one or two I'm not mad on, loved IJCGE, I never grow tired of it and was disappointed and two of their previous gigs where it wasn't play. ETS of course (that Wilder beat that he came up with was a game changer) and NLMD when the crowd release their BO for all to share. But for me the slightly stripped down version of Everything Counts was just class, the raw intro with just the synth and missing some of the pieces was mind blowing and it felt every so slightly slower than the album version (to me), I absolutely loved it .

In closing, can't but not mention I prefer the indoor gigs, Merch was stupid pricing and the car park was an absolute sh1tshow, 1.5hrs it took me to get out.

Thank you Martin L Gore, thank you Dave (and the other 3)

Thank you DM, I don't think I'll See You again😥

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Im sorry but Martin Gore in particular has gotten really aged and looks older than early 60s. Not a criticism, I loved the show and I love them, I just don't agree that they're as youthful looking as you seem to think

• Registered Users Posts: 13,649 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Oh absolutely.

When I said fit I was talking about physically fit, not in an aesthetic sense. To be able to be jumping and dancing all through a set pretty much is an excellent fitness level for a 60+, year old 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Really enjoyed it. Drove and did Marathon parking and arrived shortly after 6pm, only an extra 10 mins congestion compared to a normal drive to Malahide Castle. Getting out was another story, but was prepared, my daughter had even brought her pyjamas and duvet! So seats back and got out of the car park at midnight.

The gig itself was brilliant, arrived during the Just Mustard set, not my cup of tea. Young Fathers were very good I thought. We were just in GA as our young daughter was with us, she's not old enough for GC yet! She had a great time and was singing along to all her favourites. One of my favourite songs is "It's no good" and I did think Dave was a little off key for it? Also loved EC and NLMD and the obligatory hands in the air. The crowd visibly comes to live for ETS and IJCGE and PJ, but they are outstanding songs and I loved them too.

Overall Dave still has it, vocally and his stage presence is immense. You've got to love his dancing!! Martin is just a musical genius and has a great voice to boot. Musically and visually I prefer an indoor gig, but there's something so lovely about a summer outdoor gig when the weather is as good as it has been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Gore's ageing suits him more, I think. He's developed into this weird old glam elf. Gahan - and none of this is criticism, just the inescapable passing of time - is really showing it now even compared to the last tour. I thought he got off really lightly even during the Spirit era but when I watched the Primavera stream from a few weeks ago it was a bit like he was wearing a bank robbery mask of himself and it all took a bit of effort.

Didn't make it to this one but delighted to hear everyone had a good time. I've seen them four times post-Sounds of the Universe and the general setlist skeleton which remains largely unchanged isn't something I'm interested in seeing again.

They'll never do it, because their management team seem to go for the biggest shows and money possible, but more intimate/hall style shows where they done classic albums in full? I'd be back on board.

I saw Martin when he toured Counterfeit 2 (you may well have done so too) and the few DM deep cuts were a nice element, especially in a small venue.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

When you hit the 60s very few escape the aging process, unless you go the Madonna route 😁 But Gahan still has the moves and voice and long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

The tour schedule is relentless as well. They seem to have a gig every three nights for 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Madonna is a ridiculous person. She's a holy show and she doesn't look young or younger, just incredibly odd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

DM have their own sound and presence and incredible songs. Who else could go from Just Can't Get Enough to Personal Jesus without missing a beat.

Also, they don't take themselves so seriously. The make performers half their age look and sound incredibly boring and conservative.

The only problem with the concert the other night was that it wasn't long enough and they're was about 10 other songs I really wanted to hear.

Also, indoors, with zero phone policy would be fantastic.

Oh, and guest appearance by Vince Clarke for a few tunes. 😁

I’m still coming down from it.

Was searching for decent Malahide videos on YouTube and couldn't find anything ... But I did come across this recent orchestral version of walking on my shoes with BBC concert orchestra... wow ! (Ghosts Again is also there)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

What time was the curfew out of curiosity?

10:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Was tidying some bits and pieces and found this from December 1993:

I kinda miss that style of ticket - a bit of effort went into those.

And only £22....a new release vinyl album or cd was around £9.99 - 12.99ish (some were higher obviously but that was the range for most) at the time for context (I know as I was working in a record shop part-time at the time).

Set list from that night for anyone who was there:

1. Intro
    2. Higher Love
    3. Policy Of Truth
    4. World In My Eyes
    5. Walking In My Shoes
    6. Behind The Wheel
    7. Halo
    8. Stripped
    9. Condemnation
    10. A Question Of Lust
    11. One Caress
    12. Mercy In You
    13. I Feel You
    14. Never Let Me Down Again
    15. Rush
    16. In Your Room
    17. Personal Jesus
    18. Enjoy The Silence
    19. Somebody
    20. Everything Counts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Only £20 to stand!

The earlier one is from 1982.

Your '93 tickets wasn't clipped with the nail clippers-type thingy that the stewards would "clip" tickets with to show you'd been in already/tickets was used etc. Wish mine was "whole" like that, would make a nice little framed piece!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

I wouldn't worry about thst. Yours is more authentic. Delbert probably bought his on ebay. 😉

For those (myself included) who prefer indoor gigs…..just announced….Sat. Feb. 3rd 3 arena!

Roll on #31 for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Great to see them coming back so soon and as you siad Indoors while is great

Not sure will I go but should be a great gig

Anyone get a presale code? I’m registered with McD but not sure if I will get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Nice. Giving the lashing rain today, indoors is good 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Caitnb

Are some of you going to go to the 3arena gig in Febuary 2024! I'll be there but wondering if it will be all seated or will they open up the front of the stage to standing. Happy to accept any presale codes also!

The entire ground floor will be standing. Seats upstairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

No point going all seated, a DM gig in that venue having been to 2 there is always able to be full come the night.

They usually do Belfast on a tour run so hardly be shocking if there's demand for another night an all.

Advertisement