Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delay in State exam results.

Options
2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

The money is **** at JC level. I'd say if they slapped on a 25% pay increase they might recruit more people. A colleague said it presently works out at less than 10 euro an hour.

I suspect the SEC has asked for an increase and not got it.

Look how long it took to get books for primary kids. Free books. The largeese!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

We spend so little on education for a rich country, free school books have been an obvious and cheap solution for so long. I'd love to know how much comparitively we've spent on the JCT rollout, I'd nearly FOI the info but it might honestly be too depressing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

In fairness, the rates have increased a fair bit for JC, but at a minimum, people should be paid within 6 weeks of submitting their claims (calendar, not working weeks).

My subject is not yet online, but I expect when it is it will do away with a lot of the hassle - humping bags of papers around, taking over a room at home, counting counting counting, rushing for post offices, being delayed because of An Post delays etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Fairly damning synopsis of our much vaunted second level education system. Same issues when second level progress onto third level - used to much hand holding and ticking boxes in exam technique. Not capable of independent research and thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Icsics

Those JCT training days & the ‘new’ JCIS days are the worst things I have ever been subjected to, they are horrendous.

• Advertisement

They could not be more patronizing and useless. I've never met a teacher I respect who thinks otherwise. When you go to good training it really shows them in a stark light........the emporors new clothes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭Treppen

Got yet another email for more JCT cluster training.

Can someone make them stop,,, please :(

I think mine is online, the house will get a good cleaning that day!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Might be an idea to stagger the marking so that the LC is done first and then the JC. I can’t speak for everyone, but I’d have marked the JC after doing my LC marking, and I imagine a lot of ‘seasoned’ examiners would be willing to do likewise. I even offered to do a week of JC marking before my LC subject started and was told no.

Pay for JC marking is clearly part of the issue, mind. I remember that the increase in the rate per paper came in at the same time as we switched from HL/OL to common, so there was a completely new paper and a completely new rate. Was there an increase built into that new rate? Who knows, but if there was, it must have been very low before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

I also offered to mark JC before my LC marking, the sprioclá was only a few days after my conference, but they said no they don’t allow that. I’d have been well finished. It would make sense to have one in July and the other in august. And they need to sort out the speed at which they pay people. Promising 6 weeks after the completion of the work is not enough. Payroll should be working on superintendents in July, LC examiners in august and JC examiners in September. And they need to disallow term time/ holidays during the most critical time for their department.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

I corrected higher level leaving cert this year and i reckon the actual marking process for my subject is more straightforward at leaving cert than junior cycle going by marking last years mocks. We haven't seen the marking scheme yet from the SEC but when I first seen the sample papers a few years ago this was my initial thought. On the old paper there was a standard format for all the questions with each carrying equal marks. The mock exams had no such structure to the allocation of marks, which would really slow you down.

Advertisement