Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Pudding: How long is too long to soak fruit?

Options
  • 04-10-2022 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I was foolhardy and started to prepare my Christmas puddings the day before my new pudding bowls were due to arrive... Something has gone terribly wrong with that delivery, and I am still pudding bowl-less and preparations have stalled.

As a consequence 300g raisins, 300g sultanas, 200g currents, and 150g of cherries have now been soaking in 500ml of stout and quite a bit of cognac for 9 days and counting.

My concern is that at some point that fruit must become unusable. When might that be? Has it already happened?

It's been covered in clingfilm and has been kept cool, but surely the stout (if nothing else) is going to go bad at some point.

What do you think? Is it for the bin, or on the contrary is this a going to make them taste great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd say it's grand almost indefinitely - probably getting better and better. The higher alcohol in the cognac should keep it pretty sterile.

Keep an eye out for mold and just taste it before using it. Avoid taking the clingfilm off too much - letting air in won't help.

Could be your best puddings yet!

Post edited by the beer revolu on

Advertisement