Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wet winter tyres

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

Bit late as the OP has gone for the GP5000s, but for reference to anyone coming along later, I'd throw in another vote for the GP 4 Seasons - providing you're running with tubes. I used them for about 10 years (moved to tubeless Rubino Pros on the road bike this year) with few issues. Grip was always great, I did get the odd puncture, but these were usually down to me skipping checking pressure before going out. FWIW I tended to run them at relatively low pressure generally - 85psi for 25mm tyres - the puncture were usually down to running them below 60psi out of said laziness!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Another vote here for the continental GP5000 tyres. I usually get them from bike-discount.de which usually has them at a competitive price. When I was purchasing my latest bike I had asked to get these tyres fitted from the off, but the shop were looking to charge me €150+ and I'd have to wait another two weeks. I (mostly) politely declined the offer!

The tyres that came with the bike (some kind of Bontrager summer only tyre, I think) were entirely unsuitable for Irish roads in the couple of times I used them. I was getting wheelspin while climbing a mildly damp hill... while seated! Made you go a lot slower when you realised that the bike could slide out from under you at any moment! I wonder how many people bought bikes with unsuitable tyres and had scares that put them off going out again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Somewhat off topic but sort of relevant

Surely on the NCT you mean Advisory, not Fail. A fail on tyres, say for a side wall cut, is a mandatory return for visual inspection to show you changed tyres. For tyres with the age advisory, you don't have to return. Its an advisory as there is more to the aging than just time, plus 8 yrs on premium tyres can be as good as some budget tyres with fresh rubber.

For tyres, you get what you pay for, be it car or bike variant. I am about to upgrade to 4 Seasons. Gatorskins are worn and never had good grip in wet.

Advertisement