Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't make up my mind

Options
  • 04-10-2022 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Decided to return to motorbiking after 40 years. I'm 60 now. Completed my IBT last weekend on a hornet 600. Smile on face ear to ear. So now trying to decide honda shadow 1100 or yamaha tdm 850.

Any thoughts / advice

Dave

Best Answer

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Id go for the shadow, as you are entering the twilight years you wont have as high of a fall off the shadow. The TDM is quite tall, so might be difficult for you to get your leg over.

The shadow is shaft too I think, you wouldn't have to kneel down to adjust the chain on it. Might find it difficult getting back up what with the back and knees going.

Easy decision grandad

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 molarspark

Tried the 2 of them and have to say they are both comfortable. A fall is a fall regardless of ht of machine lol

TDM is very difficult to pick back up though, high center of gravity, you'd need to be in the prime of your life to pick it up after driving off with the disk lock on. Memory will also be failing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Have a look at a Moto Guzzi V7...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

very much potato/potatoe, and depends which you feel most comfortable on.

I have 2 heavy bikes, and whilst not unskilled I'm under no illusion that if I drop either (and I have) - I ain't picking it up on my own anyway, so ability to pick it up, for me, isn't a factor.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ye lads need to learn some new pickup techniques. It shouldn't be difficult. You're just doing it wrong. Back to the bike. Not front on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Fabio

Interesting write-up on them here: https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/classic-bikesocial/buying-advice/used-bike-guide-yamaha-tdm-850-900-buyers-advice

Go for as late a model as you can. And enjoy it!

Oh there definately is, and even my SO practiced laying down and picking up her NC750S this year (on grass), so it's doable.

My thinking is that after an off on my GW or H-D (has happened), there's usually enough stunned bystanders who'll help :) That's assuming you aren't hurt in the first place....

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement