Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to trace old subbing work for pension purposes. Any experiences with this?

Options
  • 04-10-2022 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭

I'll be retiring in the not too distant future and as I haven't had a very long career, every bit of service counts. The ETBs are great for keeping records dating back many decades but alas not the voluntary secondary schools. I'm trying to track down service in a few schools from about 30 years ago, periods of subbing which should be reckonable for pension. There is something about how the lack of records or teacher's proof can be got around by getting a sworn affidavit and I know that teachers have used this avenue but I don't know how to go about it. So I'm asking here on the off chance that somebody might be able to help. Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭pandoraj09

sorry. Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Silly question but have you contacted Payroll? I had to get this done a few years ago and it stated the years I worked as a sub and the number of hours in each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

Not silly at all mtoutlemonde because I haven't! On another thread I was advised to get a "statement of service" so is that the same thing? It would be great if I could get the information I need from them but it's from many years ago.

Thanks so much for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

It probably is the same thing. At the time I didn't know what it was/is called but it showed my subbing and hours worked. Email whoever looks after your school and see what happens.

It might be worth talking to Cornmarket / attending union information evenings to see everything you need. I'm a long way off retirement so havnt a clue!

Best of luck!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Your union / pension advice person could be useful here. Someone told me once that payroll went digital around 2004. They've all the paperwork in a basement and would prefer to take your word for it rather than search down there. Worked for a few people I know. If you qualified in , say 1990 , and were permanent from 1994 - there's a good chance you were subbing in the meantime. In that case you get a school to sign a form and they take it that on the law of averages you were really were subbing then. Much harder if you qualified in 1994, were made permanent the same year. They wouldn't want to know about service pre 1994.

• Advertisement

It can be impossible to get verification for service particularly in schools that have closed down. My pensions person advised me to get any proof I could that I was subbing in schools between 1988 and 1991. All of the schools have closed down. I got a record of all my prsi payments from dept of Social protection and Revenue sent me a record of all my places of employment since I started working at 17 and the closed downs schools are listed on that. I'm hoping to get even 6 months recognised and with 33 consecutive years in my present school, I'm retiring in June 2024. It took months for the Dept of Social P to get back to me. My pension guy said I may have to forget about trying to get the service in the closed down schools recognised. I saw a notice in the staff room for pre retirement seminar after Xmas so I've enrolled on that. I also found 2 of the teachers I taught with thanks to Google and I know one of them will definitely remember me so she might agree to sign an affidavit for me.

Thanks pandoraj09 for your input. It's a nightmare isn't it. I'm in the throes of it all at the moment and just slogging through it. I'm currently waiting for my PRSI records but I didn't know that Revenue would have the places of employment. That would be great if I could get that, how do I go about getting it? Thanks again.

You go onto the revenue online and request it. I'm sure that's what I did. Just log into your revenue account and email them. I'll have a look at mine tomorrow and check where I got it from.

Thanks so much, really appreciate that. Such info from revenue would help a lot.

Hi there. Have you had any luck getting past service verified?

• Advertisement
Advertisement