Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Size spanner for 1/2" and 3/4" ?

• 05-10-2022 8:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭

Hi I got a 25/32 mm for a small bit of DIY but the 25 is slightly big

Is the 1/2" a 24 mm spanner ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Think this might help provide an answer https://www.plumbingproducts.ie/standard-plumbing-tools-ireland/3483-3-4-x-1-2-instantor-spanner.html

Edit> Cheaper one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline-782343-Compression-Spanner-Pipework/dp/B079MDGWSL/

However while I have one that size in my emergency plumbing box (old house old plumbing) I hardly ever use it you often need two anyway. A pair of slip joint water pump pliers and a good quality adjustable spanner would be what I grab when the need arises.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Hi I got the silverline 24/32 but it's too big on the 1/2 inch compression fittings there's a substantial wobble on it ??

I don't see the wobble as too much of a problem, because you aren't torquing the fittings up as tight as you can, finger tight plus no more than one turn, but a metric spanner is rarely going to be a perfect fit on imperial fittings. I'll check my spanners as I know I have an old AF one somewhere thats a perfect fit. That all said the fittings do vary in size a good bit.

Edit> Just checked a few fittings and 15/16 inch is a perfect fit for a 1/2 inch compression nut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ok cheers I'll look at that imperial spanner

Google tells me 15/16's of an inch is 23.8mm so really only a fraction off 24mm. Suspect the spanners sold for plumbing fittings are a bit on the slack side so they fit all fittings including any that are bit over sized. I seem to remember having a 15/16 inch spanner handy in my plumbing box but took it out because it didn't fit the compression fittings I was using at the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement