Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equipment set up for new wfh home job

Options
  • 05-10-2022 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,

I´m starting a new wfh job in November. My new employer asked for me to indicate my requirements by ticking fields in an excel table. The options are ´laptop´, ´desktop´, ´monitor´.

So, I´ll have to leave my office for meetings quite a bit. So I feel a laptop is essential. But I will also being doing a huge amount of screen time and hate to work off a laptop. So a monitor is required. I will be using ArcGIS and this can be a heavy duty program to run.

I think I need all three. Is it reasonable to request all of the options do you think.

If you had to choose between a desktop and a laptop which would you choose.

Many thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭victor8600

My WFH setup is a laptop, connected to the docking station. An external keyboard, mouse and two 27" monitors are connected to the docking station. Works for me (programming/Office).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Not tech related as such. But definitely ask for some money towards a decent chair.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭10-10-20

A well spec'd laptop and a dual monitor should suffice as long as you get a dock - no need for a desktop really and it complicates things.

ArcGIS specifies 8GB of RAM as recommended, but you'd want to be having 16GB or double that for sanity with things like Outlook and Office these days.

...oh and keyboard and mouse. Then you can close the laptop and work like you would on a desktop.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Well specced laptop, monitor, webcam, and docking station. I tend to have laptop closed and two external monitors at home and work. Docking station for work, and a wireless keyboard and mouse combo. Chair and desk to suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Few like the docking station that connects to your laptop and two screens.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
Advertisement