Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Pixel 7/Pixel 7 Pro

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭TheRona

You're looking at the lads on Adverts, I'd say.

You might get another lot of discounts direct from Google in the next little while, but with the Pixel 8 Pro out in the next month or two, I'd be holding off, if it were me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭kala85

are these phones any good.

what is the camera like.

How would it compare to Samsung s23 ultra

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

I usually use DXOmark for camera comparisons. The Pixel 7 has a camera rating of 140 under their criteria. The S23 Ultra snapdragon also has a camera rating of 140. The 7 Pro is rated 147.

https://www.dxomark.com/smartphones/

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Would you be wary of those on adverts.ie at all?

I see a crowd called ZTeck based in Naas selling S23 Ultras for just under €900.

Legit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭wassie

I would be ok from an actual shopfront as you have some protections under consumer law. However I have read reports of manufacturer refurbed phones purchased from other markets (typically Asia region) and being resold as new (all come in original sealed packaging).

I do the following checks to ensure the following:

1. Its a new phone and not a refub in a new box (i.e. never been activated)
    2. Check that its the correct region (i.e. UK/EU model).

To do this you need to check the IMEI (15 digit number) - this will be on the side of the box so can be checked without opening the phone.

To check 1, go to:

https://store.google.com/us/device-authenticity?id=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX (where XXX is the IMEI).

This will clearly tell you phone information and status (i.e. activated or not activated). If it says activated - avoid!

To check 2, you need to be logged into you google account first. Go to:

https://store.google.com/repair

If its a phone outside EU/UK region, it will state that it cant be repaired in your country and note what region it applies to.

If all is OK, once purchased, remember to check the actual IMEI on the phone matches the box!

I did this over the weekend. I bought a relatively cheap new Pixel 7 off Amazon for £400 from Amazon earlier in the week (received at OooPod outside Newry). It wasnt sold by Amazon but another seller, but fulfilled by Amazon.. (They are still listed at £398.50)

Checked the IMEI before opening the box to see if it has been activated (i.e. a refurb) which it wasnt - PASS.

Then I checked the warranty status - FAIL!

In doing my second check, I got the following message

The phone is obviously a grey market import.

This means NO 2 year warranty in EU/UK by Google.

Supplier appears to have imported phones cheaply from another region & dumping them in UK. No description in ad of such. Phone has been returned.

Lesson learned for me - unless phone is Sold (not fulfilled) by Amazon, I wont be buying any more phones from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Great post @wassie .

I messaged a store on adverts selling S23+. Took maybe 4 messages for them to understand what i was asking (was the phone from EU stock) and got a one word answer - Yes

Spending more from official sources seems to be the way if more expensive.

Here's a pic of where to find the IMEI on the box (always choose the first one if dual sim).

EDIT - just realised also, no CE or UKCA markings on the box. Should of been a dead giveaway.

This applies to all phones - this is obviously specific to Pixel phones manufactured by Google.

Yes - if they say it has manufacturer/google warranty, this can be checked very easily.

As I said, buying from a licensed reseller should be very safe. Other shopfronts have some risks, but you do have some protections under consumer law.

Buying from some random off the internet - you are gambling. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭nedd

I bought my 7 Pro from that store in Naas. No problems, it is an EU model, box sealed. What I assume he is doing is buying them cheap from different EU regions and then selling them in Ireland.

I just tried the Device Authenticity link above with my IMEI and it worked.

I was wary myself but because it's a store in Naas that I can go back to and it has been there for years I took a chance, very happy with the result. €200 cheaper than getting it from Google directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Any difference bringing one of these home from the US?

Im going over there before Christmas. Was thinking of buying a pixel 7 or 8 there as they seem to be much cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Have Pixel 7 over a month at this stage. Im not blown away with the camera tbh.

I feel at times my Pixel 5 was/is better.

I've only being Pixel since they launched and first time disappointed with one

Anyone else?

I found the 6 was a big step over the 5, and the 7 is an improvement on the 6.

The photo processing capabilities alone that came with the Tensor processor are brillant. Cameras are always great in Pixels.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Probably going to pull the trigger for the P7 tonight. Thought about waiting for the P8 after my Amazon purchase debacle, but if latest reports are to be believed, EU prices will be increasing significantly for the next models.

Pixel 8 (128GB): ~€800 / Pixel 8 Pro (128GB): ~€1100

They would want to have some decent bonus offer with these prices. €520 for the P7 looks good now. Although disappointing Google are only offering 20%. The Aussie Google store has 30% discounts of the P7 & P7Pro in this sale.

I would be surprised if the price increases are as significant as those leaked prices. With only a few weeks until we know for sure, I would probably just wait.

Would you not wait till the 8 comes out incase the 7P drops in price further?

• Advertisement

You guys are killing me. I had this all sorted in my head last night.

Im in a Catch22 atm - Im selling my 6 and have a decent offer and so buying would have me a phone this week.

But Google have generally had decent bonus offers that always make the upgrade more palatable.

Those reports stated "Whilst Google made a concerted effort last year not to hike up the prices of the Pixel 7 compared to the Pixel 6, this year will unfortunately see an increase in price." Will be interesting to see what they do as the price point has always been the big attraction.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Half thinking of getting something too, given the birthday prices. Coming from a 4a. Need to watch reviews of the various 7 models again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

Have my 7 pro now a year and i love it but the batter is absolute pants. I'd be lucky to get 6/7 hours on screen time.

Anyone have similar issues?

6 - 7 hours SOT would be pretty standard for most phones. Definitely not bad.

Have an Oppo X5 Pro and get over a day with pretty hefty usage. Would like to jump to pixel but that battery life puts me off.

I guess it depends on what your idea is of heavy usage, and whether it would affect you in any way.

As an example, I'm down to 52% today already, but I'm up before 5am and use my phone for work every morning. I'd have 4 hours screen on time already, but I am on my laptop for most of the rest of the day, and not really using my phone as much, so I know I'll easily make it to the end of the day.

That said, if I knew I was going out tonight and I wanted to have plenty of juice, I could easily make sure I'm back to 100% again at any stage before then.

Good point. Camera is unreal on Pixels so might still pull trigger.

Am hoping Ireland or at least the likes of Germany do another deal like last year with free buds when they launch the 8 or something as lost my old pair.

I don't know if anyone here is still after a P7Pro, but I'm about to put mine on Adverts. The uncontrollable annual urge to switch phones got the better of me.

Edit: sold.

Post edited by TheRona on

Looks like Pixel 8 price rises are happening. Reports that in the US, the P8 & P8 Pro will both rise by US$100.

While UK prices are noted as

P8: £699 (P7 was £599), P8 Pro: £999 (P7 Pro was £849)

This would make the previous reports previous EU pricing reports earlier this month looking likely (although these were not confirmed in same articles linked).

P8: €799 (P7 was €649) P8 Pro €1,099 (7 Pro was €899).

Unless Google have an amazing bonus, going to find it hard to justify the upgrade this year myself as fairly happy with the P7 at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭wavert

Pixel 7 on Amazon fr (France) for €488 delivered - lemongrass and chalk only. Sold by Amazon not a 3rd party.

Post edited by wavert on

Advertisement