Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Favourite Songs to Train To

Options
  • 05-10-2022 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭

My Favourite Songs to Train To

In my most recent episode of the podcast with Conor Galgey, we discussed the positive impact that music has on our training. 

This got me thinking about what I feel are the songs with the most potent performance-enhancing effects. Obviously this list is entirely subjective, but you might find something in here that you'll enjoy.

All of these songs can be found on my Garden Gains spotify playlist, with over 8 hours of music. Give it a follow. 

Punch The Clock Songs

These are the songs that I play for most of my sessions, as most sessions are simply punching the clock. You get in, you get what you need done, but you don't push so hard that you're fucked for the next training day.

This kind of music lets me tune out any distractions. Unsurprisingly, these all work great as driving songs as well. 

'Ohio' - Crosby, Nash, and Stills

This song feels like driving through Ohio. I'd know, I've been there. It's actually pretty nice. 

'Interstate Love Song' - Stone Temple Pilots 

Maybe the greatest 'I'm training even though I'm dying of a hangover' song. 

'Stranglehold' - Ted Nugent 

This song is so good that it was UFC champ Randy Couture's walk-in theme. 

'Roadhouse Blues' - The Doors

Morrison shouting "save our city!" is one of my favourite moments in rock n' roll history. 

'Cowboy Song' - Thin Lizzy 

Hard to go wrong with Lizzy. Harmonising dual guitar solos are standard fare. 

Let 'Er Rip Songs

This is when it's time to summon the demons and push hard. I try to save these songs for sets where I'm pushing for a personal record of some kind. 

'For Whom the Bell Tolls' - Metallica 

This might be the perfect metal song. Super simple, crushing riffs, thunderous drums, and singing about impending doom. 

'Club Foot' - Kasabian 

This song was deservedly used for thousands of sport highlight reels in the naughties. 

'I'll Cut You Down' - Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats 

An unappreciated gem. This band brought back psychedelic rock and made it **** heavy. 

'Killed by Death' - Motorhead 

This song is Lemmy spitting in the face of the Grim Reaper. When I die, please play this at my funeral. 

'When the Levee Breaks' - Led Zeppelin 

The greatest drum performance I've ever heard in a song, and yet it's super stripped back. Most people would pick 'Immigrant Song' or 'Heartbreaker', but I think this was Zeppelin at their heaviest. 

'Them Bones' - Alice in Chains

Most of these songs are really about accepting death. I guess that's pretty fitting if you're going for a 10 rep max on squats. 

Well, hope you enjoyed the list guys. It's pretty obvious that most of my music taste revolves rock-based music from the 70s - late 90s. I think that really was the peak for musicianship but hey, that's just like, my opinion man. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve only started listening to music in the gym recently when i started working out on my own.

Can’t say any particular song stands out but a favourite on Spotify is The Clash.. From Here To Eternity live album… high energy, high octane..great sound quality..

the version on that record of Train In Vain ( ironic title considering ) is sweet..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Cill94

Love this song! Wouldn't recommend picking it for karaoke though. Mick Jones is deceptively good at singing. 😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont listen to music training but do if on something like the concept rower , if doing a distance for time I had my playlist in a way that Free Bird was the last song, cos its a 9min song that speeds up in the second half just as everything is hurting

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I find picking a single song for a session and playing it on loop has been working for me lately.

Metallica 'One' is another great example of this. Second half of the song crushes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I have a playlist with a lot of AC/DC, Metallica, Iron Maiden, and classic metal. It's amazing how hard is to get into "new" music, I think I'm stuck with the music of the first part of my life. Can't name a new artist out there that I have gotten into in a serious way. I like the odd song here and there from the likes of Jelly Roll, Rag 'n Bone man etc.

I like Rory Gallagher, 'Shadow play' is a favourite motivator at the moment, along with 'War Pigs' by Black Sabbath. I don't know much about the history of Black Sabbath, and their song writing process, but I must admit I just don't understand how Ozzy Osborne as I know him today could have been involved in that song, it's mind-blowing, even people who don't like metal should be able to appreciate it on so many levels.

I'm not really sure if it affects my workout when I play slower tempo stuff like Willie Nelson, like I did today. It's lower energy for sure.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

Rock music has definitely taken a back seat the last 20 years or so. Music is very cyclical though so I'm sure it will come back at some point.

I'm a big Sabbath fan and as far as I know, Ozzy is just a great frontman who's always managed to surround himself with stellar musicians who handle the songwriting. I've seen them live twice and it's bizarre to see him go from barely being able to talk, to performing a song like War Pigs to near perfection. One of the best live bands I've seen and a big staple for my gym playlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Hmm, just looking at my own playlist, it does tend to skew to the heavier side, but there are a few lighter tracks too. Ones that I always go for on heavy lift days would be

1. Soil - Halo
    2. Slipknot - Wait and bleed
    3. Slipknot - Duality
    4. Ghost - rats
    5. SOAD- BYOB
    6. Slayer - Bloodline

and then, as the session tapers off or for accessory lifts, a bit more upbeat featuring

1. Bishop Briggs - Champion
    2. Gavin Rossdale - Adrenaline
    3. RATM - Bulls on Parade
    4. Velvet Revolver - Slither

All great choices. Only discovered Velvet Revolver recently. Good ****.

Advertisement