Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Changed By Manager While Away - Options

Options
  • 05-10-2022 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all

So as part of some recent restructuring, my department and team have seen some changes. Whereas previously the whole team (split into 3 roles) reported to me, now there are 2 "towers" - one reporting to me, the other to a former direct report of mine

The problem I have is that these changes were made while I was off for a week. Myself and my boss had been discussing them and who would be a good fit for what, and where I myself would fit in but we had agreed that I'd think it over while away and we'd catch back up on my return. Instead however I returned to find that he'd already made the changes in my absence and spoken to the affected members of my team (who naturally enough came to me with questions about it - putting me in a somewhat awkward position).

As a result I find myself in a new role (no contract changes have been made) that I didn't agree to, didn't accept, and was put into while I was away. To create this new tower, my boss has taken some of my responsibilities and created these new roles from them.

To make it all worse, he has me now on performance management because he's not happy with my performance in this new role.

HR are typically no help and my option is to log a formal griveance - but my underlying question really is this...

Can an employer change your role so significantly (diminishing your responsibilities in the process) and do so without agreement and in your absence? In other words, is it worth fighting this, or just trying to find something else (not easy at the moment)

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Consult a solicitor re whether you have a potential constructive dismissal case. I suspect you do but do NOT just rely on opinions here. Winning these cases requires that you do some very specific things.

And in the meantime, get busy jobhunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,234 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

It does sounds like you are being managed out. Is a lateral move under someone else an option. Because it sounds like you'll be given objectives that will be nigh impossible to meet as a mean's of justifying it.

As Bumble says I would get professional advice.

Advertisement