Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tracking underfloor pipe

• 05-10-2022 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi,

I currently have an oil fired range heating the water and radiators. Am looking at replacing it with an external boiler.

The hotpress is beside the range and along with all the usual pipework there is two copper pipes coming up from the floor, that are not connected to anything they just finish above ground level. I'm hoping that the original owner may have run the two pipes under the floor and outside to allow for the install of an external boiler in the future. I can't really think of any other reason for them being there?

Has anybody any suggestions as to how to find out where the pipes goes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I would doubt it, maybe he moved the external boiler inside?

What type of floor is it? Wood or concrete? With either you'd need to remove enough covering to at least see what direction the piping turns.

Not sure a pipe finder would be helpful here if there are other pipes in the vicinity. Otherwise you could try pass a metal rope down and then twist it to see if you can hear it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭monseiur

Option 1 would be to remove section of floor, should be hasy enough with a kango.

Option 2 - Hire out a CAT tool with a signal transmitter, you basically push the trace rod down the pipe and the CAT will pick up the exact location of transmitter signal as the trace rod passes thru' the pipe. (System needs to be drained or you'll flood the house !)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 crashbang1

Thanks for the ideas.

Not mad keen on breaking up the floor just yet but I'll see if I can get something down it and get an idea what way its going and how far.

Advertisement