Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Violence associated with certain events in Ireland

Options
  • 06-10-2022 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭

I appreciate there was another thread started and very quickly closed by mods on the tragic events at a funeral in Tralee yesterday, but at the risk of drawing the usual venemous keyboard warriors out of the woodwork again, I wonder is is possible to have a reasoned debate about the unfortunate propensity for violence at traveller occasions and what drives it, and what can be done about it either from withing the community or from the wider community?

So to begin:

1. I think it is unfortuanately highly possible that at any major gathering of travellers families (weddings, funerals, communions, etc) there is a high risk of violence breaking out between different factions.
    2. These are by and large perpetuated by male members of the community (sometimes goaded by female partners) over actual or perceived slights or insults which may be from ages ago.
    3. A lot of this antagonism is now further fuelled by social media "shout outs" whereby the different factions trade challenges and insults to goad the other side.
    4. The average male travellers solution to any such conflict is generally to resort to violence to resolve it.
    5. Since the culture of travellers is quite male egotistic led, with the male considering himself boss, any intervention by females except by perhaps matriachial figures is unlikely to be successful.
    6. Indeed some females within the community will unfortunately goad their males to prove their manhood by engaging in violence or to defend perceived or actual slights or insults against them.
    7. Traveller representative bodies such as Pavee Point rarely engage in discussions or attempt at quelling such outbreaks of violence.
    8. Such resolution of conflicts is part of traveller culture and tradition.
    9. Any business or individuals from the settled community, unfortunate enough to be caught up in such violence are likely to suffer from a threat to life or property, so most take steps to avoid any engagement with such events, leading to accusations of discrimination from the traveller community or price gouging as an insurance against damages for business's that choose to engage with them.

I expect there are very few representatives of the travelling community actively posting on here, let alone prepared to engage in discussion and explanation of their perspective on this matter. But if there are, I'd be interesting in hearing of their perspective and having any of my above misconceptions corrected.

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

FFS!

Seriously??

OP, why the hell did you start a new thread without even approaching a mod?

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement