Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bono - Stories of Surrender - Olympia, 21st November

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

I understand these are dynamic pricing, so price varies depending on demand. When they 1st went on sale, they started about $110, for nosebleeds, up to $400’ish, as per snip below, but i assume only Platinum tickets are remaining now, so much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Half the venue was platinum from the off, massive outrage about it on the U2 forums.

600-700 is extortion.

I saw the show in Dublin, was 2nd row and paid 110 euro which was a bit expensive but I enjoyed the show.

I wouldnt have paid anymore.

Bono goes on about poverty on the one hand yet the prices he charges are eye watering, its a bit of a contradiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Anybody EVER see dynamic pricing work in far our of the punter? Ie tickets reducing in value of there is no demand?... I rest my case. Despicable shower! I think artist are Ticketmaster are conducting some sort of experiment to guage how far they can push it!

Out of interested has anyone ever paid 300 or 400 for a Ticketmaster dynamically priced ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,792 ✭✭✭Fanirish

As I’ve said before, if the dynamically /platinum priced tickets (which are usually decent seats) don’t sell they just sell them as normal tickets. Happened with tool in 3 arena etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭fafy

Yes, i have actually, they very often reduce, in line with demand, closer to the event date. I am in no way justifying the process, or those massive prices, and there is no way i would pay $300 + for any event.

For the last u2 e &i tour dynamic pricing was used consistently for the U.S. venues, and many dropped, a number of times before the event date. Its still not right in my view, but regular price dropping happened, very regularly, it depended on the demand at the specific venues, and was most prevalent in the big cities on West & East coasts, + Vegas & Chicago.

I took that snip above, at the very start of the Beacon presale, (10 am NYC Time)out of pure curiosity, and saw the very back seats about $110, and saw the pricing rapidly increase, as you move towards the stage. Row T was $315, which is still way overpriced, but is not an untypical price, for that venue, for a big name act. Just not within a price range, most of us would even consider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Heard something about a new U2 song on 2fm at 5. Hopefully won't be as bad as their last new song.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,402 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Its not bad tbf but i do worry for future live shows will they be 'these versions' used ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭MOR316

There is a new album with new material out towards the end of the year.

Songs of Surrender makes sense in a way. Gives Bono publicity for his book/tour, gives U2 publicity and gives Larry Mullen time off to get work done on his injuries

Personally, I think it's a stupid idea and this version of Pride doesn't do it for me. But, it's a good marketing thing I guess and MLK day is on Monday...

• Advertisement

Savage quality this.

Was at the Dublin show, was a very enjoyable show.

I was in the second row of the Stalls so the view was phenomenal, a rare opportunity to see Bono so close, couldnt take any photos though.

His voice was fantastic, best I have heard it in decades perhaps.

Met alot of vips in the queue and inside, Gavin Friday was in front of me in the queue, Dave Fanning, Matt Cooper, Pat Kenny, Tom Dunne, Adi Roche, Charlie Bird.

Who let riff raff like me in.😀

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

They just bastardised one of their greatest songs. Awful.

Walk On is now for Ukraine, after years of pushing it out and writing it for Aung San Suu Kyi....

Its a great song but I dont see the relevance to Ukraine though. I wish Bono would keep the politics out of it.

I wouldnt mind seeing it back on the next tour though.

Edit:

Actually I see they have rewritten the lyrics , and ruined the bloody song.

Listening to Pride again...

I do wonder if Adam and Larry were in on this...

That wasn't the point I was making but, however...

Yeah, I love the Elevation Tour version. Not so much there after

Just heard 1 minute of Beautiful Day. Sounds even worse. Why are they doing this? Of course I'll probably buy it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Some of those songs that apparently needed to be reworked appeared on their last album! Words fail me here. It's an astonishing cash grab.

• Advertisement

The loony fans like that 'U2brother' guy will lap all this up as usual

Be very surprised if any of these are better than the originals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Whenever I hear about bands reworking earlier songs I always think of that David St Hubbins line from This is Spinal Tap: "I've always wanted to do a collection of my acoustic numbers with the London Philharmonic as you know..."

Just heard the new version of With Or Without You. Pretty awful...

Its brutal.

The Edge wont be giving up the day job anyway , he has produced this album and so far it sounds a serious mis-step.

This is the type of reworking that works

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

It sounds like Bono and Edge's lockdown project. I don't particularly mind the reworked Pride or WOWY. I can separate them from the originals and judge them on their own merits.

The whole project surprises me though. It seems pretty unnecessary. Unless of course Bono and Edge are planning on hitting the road touring these arrangements. I must say I'd welcome that whilst Larry has time off to recuperate. Stories of Surrender in the Olympia was very special and having Edge there would add another dimension.

Advertisement