Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Euro 2024: Mod Note Added 2/7/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

VAR ruining the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Almighty kick in the bollocks there

Looks very harsh at first and on replay, but that over the shoulder view (which was shown to the ref after a run through the first replay) sealed it IMO. There was certainly a change in direction.

That said, there was no call out from the defender etc, which just shows how negligible it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Ref could have given the goal so wouldn’t blame VAR this time. Awful decision as zero advantage was gained. Would put you off watching football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Acosta

If that replay on the monitor was any slower, they might as well have shown the ref a picture of the incident

• Odd. That doesn't get disallowed in the PL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,265 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

anyone know what the heart beat sensor thing was when the ref was reviewing the incident?

I believe it's the contact being registered on the ball, as its microchipped to detect contact/semi-automated system.

It's registering when the ball feels a touch in this case....…I would presume anyway

VAR the only reason it was checked. It's supposed to be for obvious errors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

There was clearly no intent to handle it, and it's not a foul to have arms. I'm not surprised it's been given, because I've no idea what is or is not handball anymore - some things are given one week, and let go the next. But it's definitely the sort of call that's at odds with the basic spirit of the game, and at odds with basic common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

Clear and Obvious is the PLs process(which blatantly doesn’t work).

I believe they check all goals for a potential infringement here.

• Advertisement

Why can't we just go back to the rule being an intentional hand ball. Seeing defenders running with their arms behind their back is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,171 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Disallowed goal(s) aside, Belgium doesn't look that good anymore. They will qualify from the group, but probably QF the best they can hope for.

I expected Openda to come in a bit earlier too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

As one of the biggest advocates for VAR to come into the sport in the first time, It's really soured the game for me.

Some of the VAR decisions we've seen last season in domestic leagues and in this competition so far just really confuses me and just really goes against the spirit of the game.

I've come to the realisation that I'll never get the VAR I want and just want it gone from the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

85 goals for Lukaku is some stat for a lad who misses a lot all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

It’s harsh, but it’s no more harsh for me than a player being found centimetres offside. The advantage the attacker gets in that instance is debatable.

Here the ref could see the contact with the hand and the change in direction so I can understand why it’s disallowed. As long as it’s reffed consistently then I’m grand with it, in the same way I’m grand with offside being black and white.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

No angles of the defender pushing him out to the side-line, just the handball.

I have no grá for Belgium but that is harsh in the extreme. Openda should have been on much earlier - that's on the manager.

I wouldn't say they're comparable… being offside is a black and white offence and is always a foul with opinion playing no part, whereas a ball touching your hand is not a foul by default. One is objective and one is subjective.

I know what you're getting at with the potentially minimal benefits of each, but they belong in firmly separate categories imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Tony O'Donogue really is a dose. He's obsessed with the soundeave. The hand ball was clearly visible without it.

saliba starting for france tonight, but DD prob dropped the wrong CB cos upamecano is also starting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

so if a ball is stopped with an undeliberate handball on the goal line stopping a goal it should be ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Saliba starts for France I see.

Just browsing through the subs. Mendy, Konate, Pavard for defense. Camavinga, who can also play left full back,Tchouameni and Zaire-Emery for midfield and Giroud, Kolo Muani and Coman.

Absolutely ridiculous squad all over.

Honestly, for me, if it's clearly visibly not deliberate - hand by someone's side, and the striker has hit them with nothing the defender could do about it, then yeah, that's just as much a stop as if it smashes off their face. You're allowed to have arms. You're not allowed to use them to intentionally touch the ball. But if someone shoots at your prone arm, rather than shooting somewhere that it'll go into the goal, that's their tough luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I heard the so called expert on ITV say that his hand controlled the ball for him which it didn't. He was knocked away from his path a bit before the ball came down. For me that is play on and if the rules say different then they need changing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm more surprised that neither Tchouameni or Camavinga are starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Have we a thread anywhere for the tournament hot chicks?

• Advertisement

You say hands by their side it’s ok. What if hand is out from the body but it’s not deliberate? Are we back into the realm of natural shape, silhouette? Or do we just say as long as it’s ball to hand it’s ok?

some chance there by austria. decent game this, france not dominating like i thought they would

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Great move by Austria, deserved a goal. Saved by the keeper, and the ball just about goes wide if the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

How do the officials miss that corner. Great chance for Austria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

Sober scores

Og unfortunately

Great footwork by mbappe

• Advertisement

Sick. Instead of leading, Austria are now behind after an own goal. Awful.

and then france go and score via an OG

blonde austrian fan?

there used be but no clue how you find threads these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Incredible ball by Griezmann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

Austria have done well in the first half. Great chance to take the lead,then so unlucky with the o.g.

Austria are a good side. I'd fancy them against the other teams in the group, whatever happens here.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Damn frustrating the goal came after the ref messed up by not giving that obvious corner

what a miss mbappe! though keeper should have come out to it.

That's just pure 2024-Salah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Mbappe is prone to those misses.

I certainly wouldnt put money on him scoring those chances 10/10 times

• Advertisement

Awful miss by Mbappe. 1 on 1 with the keeper and he kicked it wide.

Baumgartner picking up an unfair yellow card. It was a 50/50 ball and he got to it before the keeper. Less pace on that through ball and it would have been a great chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

As far as I know even if not deliberate but stops the ball from scoring (it has been hit to the goal) it will be a foul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

Kante has sone speed for a 33 year old playing in the Saudi retirement league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Kanté is still awesome.

That's a nasty nose break for Mbappe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Tandey

Think we can safely say that's a broken nose there for Mbappe.

I know. I was making the point to the person who wants only deliberate handballs to be punished is he happy for it to that way when a non deliberate handball stops a goal on the line.

Ref is a clown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The yellow for Mbappe was fully deserved anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement