Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Euro 2024: Mod Note Added 2/7/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Nah, at this stage head to head is first, then GD if H-to-H is equal, or if 3 teams end up on equal points. GD is important for deciding who goes through of the 3rd place spots though, so teams on 3 points (or maybe 2 if they're very lucky) will need a decent GD. Anyone with 4 points in 3rd should be grand though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

I find O'Donoghue seems to have a real difficulty stringing his sentences togehether or goes on a tangent mid sentence that just breaks the whole flow of the discussion/analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I just can't see France winning it. For me the three teams that can win it are Germany, Spain and Portugal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Their best player was sitting on the bench, France are definitely in with a shout. If that Dutch goal stood we would have seen Mbappe come on and tear into the Dutch.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

France have looked a bit toothless on front of goal but top squad and creating plenty of chances with teams unable to do anything about it. Strong but not ungettable. Portugal hasnt shown much yet. Germany have more energy about them after a few meagre years and are back in the cant-be-ruled-out category. A bit iffy at the back. Spain has looked the most dangerous and accomplished so far and are favourites for me at this point just shading France. England should be up there with sheer squad quality but the manager has no real concept what he wants them to do and they have tied themselves in a knot. Italy I expected more from. They seem ok but probably not enough when it comes to playing to big guns. The Dutch I dont know, decent as always but not much up front. Belgium not a hope in hell.

Betfair exchange can be a good indicator because often dominated by people who know what they're doing, but this time I dont think so. Currently we're looking at

1. France
    2. Germany
    3. England
    4. Spain
    5. Portugal
    6. Netherlands
    7. Italy
    8. Belgium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,530 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Southgate now saying the players arent fit enough to press how he wants them to. Coupled with the Kalvin Phillips quote, throwing the players under the bus musy be some new 4d chess tactic...

Their best player, and I think he's incredible, didn't do much in the first game. It seems theres a lot of stuff going on. He's been giving opinions on the upcoming election in France and taking sides. Other players in the squad have followed him, Dembele and Thuram are two of them.

The French FA said that players are entitled to their opinions but that the organisation is neutral.

The elections start next Sunday and goes on for a week so I'd imagine the media will be all over him and the other players who have spoken about it until the results come through. That has to be a big distraction.

I was glad to hear they were doing this. The far right had a huge European election and people are worried that they'll win the Presidential election. I have nothing but admiration for these young men doing what footballers rarely do and I hope their message prevents the far right winning. Mbappe was appealing to the young people to vote against them.

The players aren't fit enough? 😭

Who is he talking about? Trippier and Harry Kane, the two he see as unstoppable and undroppable?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So who drops to right back during the game as cover?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,090 ✭✭✭trashcan

I’d ask myself how I’d react if it was my team. If it was against, I’d most certainly want it ruled out. If it was for, well clearly you’d want the goal, but I couldn’t work up any outrage if it wasn’t given. I think the position of the forward means it had to be disallowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

the same as in every team when a fullback bombs on - either a midfielder (and they’re playing with a double 6 so there’s no shortage) drops in there temporarily, or else Stones slides right and Rice drops back into CB.

the double pivot midfield is a pain in the hole to watch, but it can be very effective. But you need your fullbacks to be hyper mobile to make it work. I think Trippier isn’t good enough to do it.

England have enough good midfielders to play 2x no.8s and stop being so bloody conservative

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Very harsh pen to Georgia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Very good technical level in a really good match here. Nice to watch. Czechia much improved from their first match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

They called that 'Ball to hand' back on the day.

Considering Georgia had a chance afterwards, don't see why it should be given. It's not like it disrupted the flow of the game.

I'm shouting for Georgia but the penalty decision just irked me. It's clear he's pulling his arm away, it didn't affect the flight of the ball and they had a clear goal chance after it. Basically it's like advantage being played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Switched on Georgia v Cechia match.

First thought was I wonder is Mick McCarthy watching?

Five years ago there was this -

https://www.11v11.com/matches/georgia-v-republic-of-ireland-12-october-2019-363665/

How times have changed.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That goal has been coming for some time for the Czech Republic.

I think Georgia have improved always keep the ball well historically. All they are missing is that striker to finish the chances.

Of the team that played Ireland (Oct 2019) from that Georgia starting eleven the following are starting today v the Czechs.

Defenders - Kashia, Kakabadze

Others that started or where subbed that day are still there -

There is Kvilitaia, who was subbed for Shengelia an attacker, both still in squad. Tabidze a defender. Loria a sub keeper. Kiteishvili a midfielder. Lobjanidze a striker started that day still in squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Who's the RTE co-commentator? He's really irritating with some of the random tirades he goes on. Was the same guy who spent the entire last Belgium game slating Onana for no apparent reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

What a miss by Georgia with the last attack of the game. 3 on 1 break, just the keeper to beat and the Georgian player kicked it over the bar. SMH.

• Advertisement

I find him enjoyable he gets really involved in the game. Comparison to Ronnie Whelan who is only there in sufferance.

That Georgian miss at the end, he panicked.

Ive been very impressed by spacecraft as a co-commentator.

Edit: For those who don't know, spacecraft is Andros Townsend.

RTE are scraping the bottom of the barrel with some of their pundits and co-commentators. Alan Cawley now, Pat Fenlon is up next I believe. Tony O'Donoghue presenting on occasion. Women pundits and commentators I've never heard of and don't care about. RTE have their woke agenda, but are probably trying to tighten their purse strings as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I wouldn't mind him so much if he didn't keep repeating the same points over and over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,265 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

apparently turkey have made a good few changes, unsure of the actual number. wonder are they resigned to defeat regardless what team they pick so opportunity to rest some players for game 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I don't get the obsession with women commentators and pundits on this and other fora.

Many women pundits and commentators are sh1te, annoying and offer no insight, are just there because they look nice, but guess what, it's the same for the fellas. The likes of Jenas, Kelly, or indeed Lineker when he started years ago are there to keep the housewives happy, and offer little. These women are no worse than the lads when taken together, so don't let it annoy you. Turn the sound down, go make a cuppa at half time and chill.

The RTÉ pundits are fairly average. Sadlier is the best by a long shot imo. The rest offer next to nothing unless you know SFA about football.

The golden days for football entertainment was Bill, Dunphy and the lads. Now it's all about sanitised, boring insights.

Turn it off at halftime is probably the best advice!

thats some crunching (and fair) tackle by pepe.

1-0, bernardo silva

Fortunate deflection set up that goal for Bernardo Silva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That's a very harsh yellow

WTF was that turkey?!?!?!?

WTF happened there. Defender f##### up big time. Worst own goal you'll ever see. I wonder was he distracted by Ronaldo having a usual strop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

As awful an own goal as you'll ever see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Jaysus that's as bad an OG as you'll see.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

shocking effort from bruno, should have squared that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

We could have the entire Turkish team booked. This ref is poor. They got two yellows for a non-foul, and Silva falls over for a free. There'll be no ref good enough for the final

Interesting that Didi Hamman is general critical of German refs. Both in this tournament and in the Bundesliga. They give yellows easily, and yellows that confuse the players as to why they got them in the first place.

And the two lads blaming each other. That will follow them around now for life.

What a tttttt Ronaldo is. Makes the goal celebrations all about himself, even though he didn't score it.

Probably thought he was offside and if he wasn't, then look at me I'm so generous letting someone else tap it in. If he could have squared it to himself, he would.

3-0, very surprised ronaldo didnt take the shot rather than squaring to bruno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Ronaldo knows he is offside😯

(He made a mistake there 😉, would have shot otherwise😛)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Cant believe he actually passed it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement