Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Euro 2024: Mod Note Added 2/7/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

The Turkish player, Demiral, who scored the two goals yesterday, might find himself out for the next tie, dependant upon the UEFA investigation launched after his celebration for his second goal yesterday. He did a "grey wolf" salute, which is actually banned in Austria, making me wonder if that was a part of the reason why he did it, against those opponents.

In his own words - “I had a goal celebration in mind, which I did. I am very proud because I am a Turk, therefore after the goal I felt it deeply, and I wanted to do it, and I am very happy about doing it." He then published a post on X showing him celebrating with the salute with the phrase “ne mutlu Türküm diyene,” meaning “How happy is the one who says I am a Turk.”

These words have a sinister meaning for all minorities in Türkiye, such as Kurds, Armenians, Greeks, and Assyrians.

Be interested to see if this gets treated the same as Jude grabbing the family jewels. Or if they have a big carpet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

arnaoutovic got banned for a political symbol in the last euros so he’s a goner id say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It wasn't a political symbol; he got banned for insulting an opponent and bringing their ethnicity into it.

An Albanian player was already banned for two games for leading a political chant after one of their games and a Kosovan journalist had his credentials removed for directing the eagle gesture at Serbian fans so Demiral will likely be gone, too.

It's "funny" because international competitions are an "acceptable" form of expressing nationalism/patriotism but evidently there is a very thin line.

EDIT: Adding a link about the Hungarian ultras, some of whom cross the line quite dramatically:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/articles/cekk4zp5rg8o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

In 2018 Xhaka and the other chap who used to play for Liverpool were only fined for the eagle, not banned. So maybe Demiral will be treated similarly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

That was the World Cup so FIFA made the decision rather than UEFA I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

English refs to ruin Fridays games with Taylor to ref Spain V Germany and Oliver to ref Portugal V France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Just saw this on reddit and thought I'd share.

Link in German unfortunately. https://www.kicker.de/rumaenien-bedankt-sich-bei-gastgeber-deutschland-in-einem-kabinen-brief-1036118/artikel

So Romania obviously got knocked out and are on their way home, probably already there, but they left a letter behind in the dressing room. In which they thanked the hosts for their lovely experience and the great football family atmosphere and how it all was such a great thing to be part of.

Thought it was a nice touch and a nice thing to be reading about.

classy little touch, it’s not being great football wise but pretty absorbing. It’s also a feel good tournament until you remember the bleakness of the world right now geopolitically. It offers brief respite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The opta top 12 players to this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Not too many surprises in the round of 16 but Slovakia’s attempt from the halfway line, Slovenia’s one on one against Portugal and the Turkish save at the end show the fine margins which define the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

I think it’s actually a positive in a way, more games, more chances to put things right in a way, could have lost 2 group games and sent home before, 3rd group game if you won it you had a chance to qualify and really go for it and make it an entertaining game.

Sure there are some poorer teams, but England and France are absolutely star studded and stinking the place out so far and don’t see it changing tbh.

I get teams play conservatively in knockouts, euros is only every 4 years, unlike club football if you’re knocked out one season in Europe for example in less than 9 months you’re back at it, get knocked out here and it’s another 4 years so can see why some are conservative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

The interesting thing about these Euros is that they are the only 'normal' tournament for years back or forward. Qatar wasn't exactly normal, the last euros were all over Europe, the next Euros is between us the the UK, the one after that, between Italy and Turkey. The next world cup is between Canada, US and Mexico and the one after that, Morocco, Portugal and Spain.

The next tournament that is in one counrty is 2034 in Saudi which wont exactly be party central either so for those that can go, this is your last chance for a normal tournament in one country until 2038 at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,127 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ireland & UK will feel like a normal tournament for fans. A few trips to an island will be nothing more unusual than a competition in Japan or New Zealand.

The others shared ones are a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭bren2001

You're forgetting that the first 3 games of the WC in 2030 will be held in Uruguay, Argentina, and Paraguay. A world cup in 3 continents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I was in Poland 2012 and France 2016. I didn't get any sense that the experience in Poland was less normal or satisfying just because half the tournament was in Ukraine - it hardly even occurred to me. So in that sense I think Italy/Turkey will be fine, assuming like 2012 they play each entire group in one or the other. WC2030 will be fine as well once the silly South American trio of games is done. Spain/Portugal is a pretty seamless move, you'll barely notice you are in a different country. Be a bit of a pain to have a game in Northern Morocco but it's an easy trip from Iberia.

I'll give you the others though - Saudi sounds like not a lot of fun, and the USA/Canada/Mexico is a hassle even though they've made efforts to geo-limit the travelling within each group with their West, Central and East idea.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

if it’s spread over multiple countries not often than it’s not, isn’t that the new “normal”?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, for the Euro's especially, don't see much problem or weirdness in sharing the burden given the proximity of the countries, especially since the expansion to 16 teams. Over the ~30 years since then, it's been an even split of shared and solo hosts.

It's the economy-crippling single hosts of World Cups that actually looks pretty nuts, countries taking it on that have to build loads of stadiums with no long term demand, which will be left to crumble after.

The South American triple header, followed by Europe and Africa sharing, in the World Cup directly after one run in the US and Mexico was an obvious, if cack-handed attempt to guarantee that the subsequent World Cup in 2034, had to go to Asia, despite the 2022 one having been in Qatar. You would honestly think that this was all being driven by money!

"Today, I feel like a millionaire, with aspirations to being more." as a former, freckled, red-haired, Italian might say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, the Saudi one - and the circumstances around it, gerrymandering shared hosts - is an absolute bare faced abhorration, but the basic concept of shared tournaments is grand.

Indeed, I think the only solo WC hosts we'll ever really have again are places that really shouldn't ever be given it — Russia, Qatar, Saudi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

it was designed purely to get the 2034 world cup to saudi. takes most of the continents out of the rotation leaving asia and oceania.

Due to FIFA's confederation rotation policy, only member associations from the Asian Football Confederation and Oceania Football Confederation were eligible to host.[5] FIFA made the decision to host the 2030 World Cup in three continents (Africa, Europe and South America) and the 2026 World Cup was set to be held in North America, which meant that the 2034 World Cup would necessarily have to be held in Asia or Oceania.[2]

Football Australia chief executive, James Johnson, said his organisation was "exploring the possibility" following FIFA's deadline for bids to be submitted by 31 October 2023.[36] A major challenge to the bid however was the need to construct more stadiums or expand current stadiums to FIFA standards.

On 31 October, Football Australia put out a statement saying that they decided against bidding, leaving Saudi Arabia as the sole bid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭Niska

So, assuming no change to the confederation rotation policy, that would mean the 2038 WC can only be bid by North American or Oceania countries.

With Australia in the Asian confederation, I think that probably rules Oceania out?

New Zealannd would probably have zero interest. So USA again!

Unless there's a Samoan / Americak Samoan joint bid…

(Of course, the fact they're on seperate ides of the International Date Line probably rules that out.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Saudi will probably throw so much at it (and FIFA) that FIFA change their rules and just leave it there as a permanent home.

Saudi have done it with Boxing, are sniffing around Snooker for the world champs but football is the biggest prize

No love for Antarctica I suppose? Would clearly have to be played in the summer AND with an orange ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,127 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

They will probably go in with the UAE to get around the rotation system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Some German football sources reporting Turkish double goal scorer Demiral is going to be suspended for 2 games by UEFA for his goal celebration making the 'grey wolf' handsign. This will see him being unavailable for the quarter final against the Dutch and a possible semi-final, too.

Apparently the grey wolves are some sort of far right Turkish nationalists who were involved in atrocities in the 1970s. They are as an organisation not illegal in the Euro 2024 host country Germany but seemingly UEFA deems this a political statement. The player himself claims this not to be the case but just a symbol for Turkish pride/patriotism. Turkey has some space to appeal this decision I believe therefore this has not yet been confirmed by UEFA.

In Germany this was already making waves over the last two days cos several German politicians were condemning the celebration and demanded punishment of the player by UEFA. When I say waves I mean serious kack, apparently Turkey called the German ambassador in over this and Germany did likewise. If this stands I'd say Turkish FA/government is going to go apesh1t.

Post edited by CalamariFritti on

He's banned, and the German foreign ministry had to call in Türkiye's ambassador to Germany as well.

Apparently the day he did it was an anniversary of an attack that killed 37 people in 1993.

Serves him right, and that's a third suspension for tomorrow night now.

He's claiming he was imitating fans in the stands. I don't believe him because he has history.

During the last Euros he made a military salute and later that day on social media posted his support for the attack on Syria. The President of Turkey has links to the political party associated with the Grey Wolves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

So silly. The biggest game Turkey have had in years…..to miss out for behavior like this seems really poor judgement on his part.

The Dutch will breathe a bit easier on set pieces knowing he's not there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭Damien360

Looking forward to the Spain v Germany game tonight. Spain I think will edge this. Germany play a very high line and maybe Spain is the team to exploit that. But the Germans do really get in the face of opposition immediately and Spain have not had to deal with that yet. I expect lots of goals in this one.

France Vs Portugal is hard to get excited about. Get it to Ronaldo is killing the creativity of the Portuguese. There is a decent team in there without him. I'd love to see him dropped but I seriously doubt that will happen. The french rode their luck a little in a tough group. The defence is immense and that kept them rocking. I reckon this will be tight with the French winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,607 ✭✭✭Damien360

Just noticed Anthony Taylor is ref for one game and Michael Oliver for the other. Does an English VAR team travel with each of those for the games ? Could we end up with a PL like mess ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Stuart Atwell is head VAR for the Spain/Germany game. Pol van Boekel (Netherlands) does it for the Fra/Portugal game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

UEFA are going to carry over the rule that only the captain can speak to the ref for European games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

That should be a yellow for Kroos. Shouldn't matter that's it's in the first 5 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

How is that not a yellow for Kroos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What is it with English refs in this compeition, they're awful

How is that not a yellow for Kroos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

He got the ball...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Pedri going off injured

Ugh this ref is going to destroy this match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Xander10

Ston̈e wall. Could lose control of this game the way he has started.

Spain getting fucked over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,259 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

so much for the spanish retiring kroos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

English refs are the worst, great job Uefa to give them such important matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Kroos should have been booked. Refs have been relatively consistent with those this tournament..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

That injury could be a blessing in disguise for Spain. If they've any ambiton to win this tournament, Olmo needs to be playing imo!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,250 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Kroos is a lucky boy, no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,716 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Easy yellow for Rudiger..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Not going to plan this for Germany, lucky to not have two yellows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

He does get the ball. He take the man as well but I would be more of the opinion that it is just a free at worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

If this spanish side had a prime Torres or Villa instead of Morata it would be hard beat!

So any VAR in the Spain v Germany game will go on and on and on.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement