Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Euro 2024: Mod Note Added 2/7/24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,453 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Extra time and penalties anyone?

Just for a change.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

Dutch pressure pays off! 2-1

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Trent said "he didn't want to take one". I presume he means take a penalty but I wonder who he meant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Great ball in the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Gakpo is having a great tournament. Scored the second for Netherlands. 2-1.

Nah, it goes down as an own goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,913 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Ah I feel sorry for the Turks.

Good ball from Dumfries.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Dumfries actually went forward with a pass and they score 🤔

Super ball into the box. Great turnaround from the Dutch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Gakpo probably the best player in the Euros so far? Hasn't been brilliant or anything but has been good in every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

looks an OG on replays. Good pressure from Gakpo though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

That was a rough one from Van Der Ven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yamal I'd say has had a better tournament than Gakpo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Xander10

I just wish he would stop talking.

He's OK in the studio but incredibly annoying and unfunny as a co commentator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,941 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dutch taking control now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Turks have been great on the break, but tbh think the Dutch have probably been the better team.

Netherlands were blessed there, twice. Turkey easily could have equalized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Dutch defenders keeping their hands behind their backs when shadowing the man with the ball. Is that a thing now?

°°°°°

Every element of the game is micro managed now.

This has been decent over the last twenty minutes tbf. Much better than the other bore fests.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Turkey with another excellent chance. Verbruggen with a good save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Always had that fear with the Turks going to the Semis. Brave but Just not quite enough quality in final third to do it in the latter stages of the tournament. Fatigue is a factor too.

In Gakpo at least the Dutch have a serious attacking threat. Weghorst has been good tonight too…..just hope they perform Vs England.

Have the referees got some side bet amongst themselves about who can dish out the most yellow and red cards during the tournament?

Though this game wasn't bad, apart for a bit towards the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Would fancy England to beat them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Quarter-Final Results
    Spain 2 V 1 Germany AET
    Portugal 0 V 0 France AET France win on pens 5-3
    England 1 V 1 Switzerland AET England win on pens 5-3
    Netherlands 2 V 1 Türkiye

Semi-Finals
    Tuesday 9th July

Spain V France - (20:00) - Live on RTE / BBC

Wednesday 10th July
    England V Netherlands - (20:00) - Live on RTE / ITV

°°°°°

Hopefully they put in a decent performance.

Sick of seeing that wet blanket Southgate Forrest Gump his way through tournaments.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Sad to see Turkey go, good little team. But very happy to see the Netherlands progress. Hope they win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭Xander10

The turks foiled by a great save this time.

I can see the Dutch beating England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,975 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm gutted for Turkey. Most entertaining team in the tournament in the competition by miles. I think they deserved a draw.

Both semi finals now very hard to call IMO. I wouldn't like to put money on it

°°°°°

Netherlands V Spain is the dream final from here.

The thoughts of watching England play France in the final is nauseating. Southgate and Deschamps would be like a couple of hypnotists, putting the whole up Europe to sleep at once.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Turkey gave it a good go but the Netherlands defended well, I think they will be a more difficult proposition for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

Yep, the thought of either one of or both England / France in that final actually turns me stomach!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

On paper, two great semis between the giants of Europe.

In reality…zzzzz.

It will be a first goal wins job in both, I think.

Opta best players to this point.

So there's a few of those Turkish players that big clubs will be looking at I'd imagine.

The left back Kadioglu is 24 playing for Fenerbahce and Yilmaz is 19 playing for Galatasaray. They are the two not at bigger European clubs that stand out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Arda Guler is a serious talent……unfortunately it's hard to see him getting much gametime at Madrid next Season.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

I think Netherlands will beat England.

The other one is harder to call. Spain have obviously played much better than France but France have great players and the end of tournament know how and experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,661 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Yilmaz the forward was unreal, he's 24. Kadioglu was excellent agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Kadioglu has been most impressive for me. He’s actually Turkish heritage but born in Netherlands and played at youth levels for the Netherlands. I think he’s already been linked to Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Unless it's like the last Netherlands Spain final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Kane at 7-1 to be top scorer is generous, with 1/4 ew terms and 3 places . He's on two, Gakpo top scorer with 3 . Bellingham 16-1 , also great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

If there's any justice Spain will win it. England and France have been like watching paint dry and haven't played well in a single match. Netherlands have been hot and cold, hopefully a Spain vs Netherlands final and Spain to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Panic stations in England. They actually have to face a tier 1 team before a final for once. They won't have a clue what to do with themselves. This wasn't part of the plan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

To be fair, when he came back from a serious injury early this year, he got a decent amount of game time.

10 appearances, and 6 goals.

I can't see him being just a squad member at the Bernabeu. He'll play plenty with Kroos gone and Modric now a regular sub.

Whether it is at Real he settles at does not matter. He will get a good football education at Real. If he does not break into that team, he can go elsewhere like the way Odegaard did etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He'll make it at Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Systems over talent. Pragmatism over adventure. Safety first over win at all costs. Games as a whole really are becoming very boring.

This tournament has been horrific, with coaches obsessed with men behind the ball, covering every passing avenue, and most games looking identical - one team passes it slowly from side-to-side, looking for a pass into a guy in between the lines, and if there's no space, go wide, repeat ad nauseum.

I think I'm a football addict rather than a fan - I've watched this tournament far more out of habit than enjoyment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,635 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

'England and France haven't played well '... says who?

US neutral fans probably, but to the teams and the coaches, what do they think? What did they set out to do in the games? As the poster above says, systems over talent, pragmatism over entertainment.... I'd say Gareth and Didier and their coaches are probably delighted, through to the semi finals relatively unscathed and still to find their best form.

I agree this tournament and International football on general is a hard watch. Players are fvcked from playing 60 odd games a year on hard pitches with no rest, and for coaches it's easier to implement defensive systems with limited training time - attacking systems have to be honed over a longer period on the training ground and that's not really available at international level. Easier to implement a low block, work on set pieces, and then rely on one or two stars to pull a rabbit out of the hat.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement