Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fibre switching issue - Vodafone/Sky NBI

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

This is just a theory of mine and I can't prove it but I suspect this may be a deliberate tactic from Sky. Anyone trying to switch to them on the NBI network now has not been connected for more than three years. Sky know that these people are, for want of a better term, 'switchers'. They are likely to sign up to Sky on an introductory offer then leave when the offer is up thus costing Sky money. Better to take brand new sign-ups in each deployment area, thereby ensuring a higher percentage of longer term customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭heavydawson

I was trying for the last couple of days to switch on Skys website (I'm a Digiweb customer). The sky site wouldn't progress to the final stage. It kept getting stuck on the additional details page.

However, today I rang Sky and talked to one of their reps, and he was able to move me without any issue:

1. He was able to let me get the €30/month (Ultrafast 500mb) online offer (even though it was over the phone)
    2. He said Sky would take care of cancelling my existing Digiweb package
    3. Sky hub will be sent out in next 3 days.

He didn't even look for my NBI Line ID (which I had to ring Digiweb cancellations to get)

It's not up and running yet, but seems like there's some hope for being able to switch!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,963 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I don't want to burst your bubble but the exact same happened to me, contracts arranged and everything, but my hub never arrived, only when I queried the missing delivery was I told that the transfer was not possible.

I hope it's different for you, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Ah fascinating! OK, well I'll assume the worst, pray for the best. Will update here when I know more.

They rang me today to let me know the transfer wasn't possible. 😂

At least they rang me without me having to chase up. They did say they're working on it, but couldn't give me any timeline. They admitted it was a problem with their systems.

Yeah, they have been "Working on it" for nearly a year now.

If they really wanted the business they could easily have updated the system by now..

I fired an email off to my local Broadband office this morning about it, and cc:ed every other broadband officer in the country:

As my local Broadband officer here in XXX, I would appreciate it if you brought it to the attention of NBI / DCCAE that there are significant interoperability issues between providers on their network. The ability to change from one provider on the NBI network to any other provider on the NBI network should be an absolute requirement from NBI when those providers are looking to act as a NBI service provider. Interoperability is essential to effective competition between providers on the network. 

In my own case I've been with one NBI service for 12+ months and was recently looking to change to another cheaper provider, but was told it wasn't possible because the alternative provider is effectively only supporting brand new connections, not transfers from existing providers.

NBI set the terms of usage for their network, a network the taxpayers of Ireland have largely paid for. It should be a hard requirement that any provider wishing to use the NBI network _must_ guarantee the ability to transfer to and from other providers on the same network, and that the capability is verified by NBI prior to granting that provider the ability to use the network. If we can do this for electricity/gas and financial products, etc. there's no reason/justification it cannot be done for state-aided broadband.

I've cc:ed the other Broadband officers across the country here, as this is not a problem specific to XXX, and other NBI users across the country are facing the exact same issue.

He replied within 30 minutes to be fair to him:

Thank you for your correspondence and the details are Noted..

You are advised that I have referred of copy of same to National Broadband Ireland for their considerations and response.

I will forward you a copy of this response and upon the receipt of same.

I'm not expecting much, but nothing will improve if you don't complain about this stuff to the relevant parties.

• Advertisement

Got a reply on July 11th from the local broadband officer:

xxx,,

Further to your correspondence on July, 7th.

Please find below is a copy of the response received from National Broadband Ireland for your considerations and Information.

I have also referred this issue to the Department of Environment, Climate and Communications for observations and to date, I have not yet received their response.

Should you require for any further information re the details in this correspondence,  please do not hesitate to respond.

=============================================

Hi YYYY,

Many thanks for your email and for sending on the correspondence from Mr. XXXX.

After conferring with several colleagues across the business here, I can confirm that the NBI network fully supports the seamless migration/transfer from one service provider to another.

NBI is aware of a very small number of service providers that have integrated directly with NBI who have not, to date, enabled the transfer function. This situation only prevents end users from transferring to that service provider, not transferring away from that service provider.

Excluding the very small number of service providers who are yet to enable this feature, end users who are already connected to the NBI network have over 35 Retail Service Providers who support the seamless migration from their existing provider.

I hope this information is of some assistance to you.

Kind regards,

Adam

Adam Ledwith

Media and Stakeholder Engagement Manager

National Broadband Ireland

==============================================

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭BobMc

Just trying to do a switch myself today, from Digiweb to Sky, but im not NBI rather Open Eir, lady on chat telling me UAN was not valid so its still about as a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 18 richardob50

I was told of same issue last week. Pity, it seems that the deals of late for all providers don't apply to NBI customers. We seem to be on a two track system now between prices available via openeir vs NBI infrastructure

I'm not on NBI though which is weird, im open eir IFN, can actually get both at my address again a bit unusual

Tried calling Sky this morning, asked me for this CRN no. , i'm not calling digiweb back to get it, called Pure, all done on phone in less that 5 mins, 500mb with anytime call e35 p/m for 12 months, happy with that, Sky missing a big trick here , Pure rep said they can create that 888CRN number on the system there end and sky should be able to do same

• Registered Users Posts: 31 carlos

Does this also affect switches from Siro connections? I'm with Vodafone and looking to move to Sky, my UAN and CRN both start with SIVF so will that run into the same issue?

Was previously with Sky before switching to VF two years ago.

• Advertisement

No clue, i just dont have the time to be dealing with this nonsense, seems Sky are prepared to loose the business, I didnt even have the CRN

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jjames.mmurphy

Same issue again, 1st connection was with Sky. Contact is up, moved to EIR as it was a better offer, when i called Sky to cancel they then gave me a better deal, originally offering me 10e off the BB, when i cancelled, they could give it to me for the new price of 35e instead of the 60e !!! However, the line had ported to EIR, so now Sky cant move me back... so im stuck on a 44e for 24 months contact now, unless VF can switch me

• Registered Users Posts: 18 richardob50

Ah balls, I hope they sort soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,448 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Hi,

I'm the same situation re NBI and Sky.

Have been with Eir for two years with NBI FTTH.

Tried to join Sky for better deal , sales agent said no problem took UAN etc, but then it transpires we can't get Sky because we are with NBI.

Are Sky the only provider out there and will not transfer a NBI Fibre connection ?

How much is having NBI restricting us ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Peshy101

Hello. I know this is an old thread but FYI, the issue is still the same even in 2024

NBI finally rolled out to my area and Eir got to me first to sign up. They said I should just sign up, get the cables laid, etc and then I could also cancel within 14 days. So anyway, long story short, broadband was installed today. Called Eir to cancel my contract and called Sky to join them. Sky said they can’t do it. They said if I had had the initial installation done via them from the beginning, it would have been fine. But they can’t technically switch from any other NBI provider. They said it’s been an issue for a long time so they aren’t holding their breath for a resolution anytime soon.

Very annoying as Sky are by far the cheaper provider and they have the best TV deal. I’ve signed up to Vodafone TV Play instead. Eir were way more expensive and tie you into a 2 year contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭eronayne

I have heard this issue has been fixed in the last few days, happy days

Nearly two years!

That's a bit ridiculous imo...

But good that it opens up the competition a bit and people will have a bit of choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭pacman114

Have the same issue as others in this thread now trying to switch to Sky from Vodafone…gets so far on the order page and stalls.

Am I wasting my time ringing them to order or will it be rejected? Who can I contact to actually sort??

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 48 jkp

Has anyone successfully switched over an NBI connection to Sky from another provider yet?

worth giving them a call. My sister in law moved over to them on NBI

Thanks, good to know it's been possible for someone!

I'll try calling tomorrow, was too late to get through by the time I found a number today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 318 ✭✭Eleusis

Did she actually switch from another provider to sky? Or was sky just the 1st provider she chose when fibre came along?

I've been on the phone with Sky, the sales rep said yes NBI switching should be possible now, issues finally fixed.
    Still chasing some details from my old provider(NBI Line ID which is distinct from the UAN it seems) but hopefully all good.
    Was unable to process the order online, needed to call them. Which is unfortunate cos it seems there's some online exclusive offers(1GB for the same price as 500mb) that they aren't offering on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭irishchris

Any joy with this? My contract to in few weeks and looking to switch from Vodafone to sky. Did you get your line id from Vodafone ok? Did you manage to switch to sky 1gb from Vodafone?

• Advertisement

Called them up and signed up to the 1gb plan for €30. Router here tomorrow and activation on Friday. €50 activation fee though which I'm still querying with them

In process at the moment, moving over from Digiweb.
    Due to be activated tomorrow but DPD have delivered the sky router to a ditch somewhere so that's going to be interesting.

Interested to hear how it goes for you tomorrow.

DPD never inspire confidence either

The router arrived. But it seems like the switchover has not happened.

Call center insist the account is active now, but I never received a text to confirm(sales team said I would) and I'm still connected to Digiweb(sales team said that wouldn't be physically possible).

Been busy today so I'll go back at it again tomorrow.

edit: I seem to be up and running now. My brief experience with the Sky Hub hasnt been great, but I was able to get connected via my own router which is preferable to me anyhow. Switchover text never came, but having power cycled ONT & devices a few times I'm on a new IP that appears to be Sky.

Post edited by jkp on

Did they offer you the 1GB package for €30? Or what did they offer?

Yep that's what I went with. It was listed as an "online only" offer but I explained on the phone that I couldn't complete the sign up online due to errors on the site(the stalling that you mentioned above) and they put it through for me.
    Coming from a 500mb package with Digiweb that I would've stayed on had they continued the original discount. But they wouldn't offer it until after I cancelled. Sky is cheaper by a long shot.

Got a link to the 30euro sky 1gb deal? I might try and resign my contract for that deal

Its in the banners and all over the link below for me. It asks for an eircode before proceeding further but TBH if you just mention you saw it online they should play ball. FYI just broadband here - no phone, TV etc…

Those deals on the link are not for NBI? There are different pricing for NBI customers as far as I know. Are you sure your in NBI area?

• Advertisement

I've read as much on other threads, and encountered it with another supplier. But wasn't an issue with Sky for me.
    I can't check the links anymore as you need to enter an eircode, I think because I'm signed up now mine no longer goes through.
    I can't emphasise enough though how sure I am!
    They rolled out in the area. Very rural, no other options. Discovered I first had to get an eircode(whole other ordeal). Then had to liaise with the KN Circet engineers, run 250m of ducting & helped install the fibre myself. It says NBI on the ONT box! 😅

I will be chancing my arm later to see can i get the same deal as ye.

I think its an error ye getting the NBI 1gb normally €45 for €30. €45 cheapest in ireland for NBI 1gb as it was, no need to go cheaper. . crazy

Don't think it is error and they asked me was it nbi connection i had when i rang them. confirmed it was and she proceeded with prices with 500mb or 1 gb both discounted to 30 euro at minute with offer. router arrived following day and two days later line was activated. used my own asus router instead of their hub and no issues with it.

only annoyance is the 50 euro activation fee so first bill is for 80

No it's not an error. It's €30 for both the 500 and 1GB options, €60 after the offer for 500, and €70 for the 1gb.

I'm trying to switch over from Digiweb as well, but it's getting stuck on the "Additional" section section of checkout. Will probably have to ring them as others here have done.

Any luck getting the activation fee waved? No mention of it on the website offer…

It explicitly says "No set-up fees apply when purchased online" in the "Here's the legal bit" blurb at bottom of the offer page:

• Advertisement

That said, on the same page beside the pricing it says setup fees apply:

No luck at all. Basically getting the computer says no answers when trying to deal with their staff

I've tried multiple times, on multiple browsers, (Private Mode and not) to order the broadband. Still hanging at "Additional Details"

It doesn't work at all online with sky and nbi. You have to phone them as only way to order it

For anyone who switched to Sky…how are you finding them?

• Advertisement
Advertisement