Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broker or direct?

Options
  • 07-10-2022 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭

Looking to switch mortgages. Have decent LTV but want to do it as quickly as possible.

better to go to a broker or direct to the lender?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭dennyk

You'd have more options through a broker, if you're looking for the best possible deal, as some of the non-traditional lenders are only accessible through brokers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SebastianDahl

It depends))) If you have time, you can do it yourself, but with a broker, it would be easier and safer. Plus, most people address the broker when it comes to renting a space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

I thought a broker would allow me to get multiple quotes from different vendors but all I got was an email with a list of rates and a request to "pick the one you want". They were also useless for collating paperwork, I had to keep my own checklist in the end.

I did learn that "alternative lenders" such as Avant will only actually issue offer letters on standard semi-d/housing estate properties though. Don't bother approaching them if what you're buying isn't in suburbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭MacDanger

We're almost finished getting a mortgage through a broker, I wouldn't do it again - you have an extra person between you and the bank and it just causes delays in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 18,094 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If its a simple application i.e 2 x PAYE workers in decent long term jobs, go to the bank anything slightly complex go broker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tamara25

I have been advised here to go to a broker so I can switch providers. I’m very anxious to switch as we’re with Pepper and as time goes on our payments are continually rising.. the thing is I’ve contacted a broker recently. It took him over Two weeks to send on a checklist of all the paperwork we need to submit. I had to text him recently on a query I had and I’m currently waiting on him to come back to me.. doesn’t give a great 1st impression to me. Maybe he’s extremely busy & it can’t be helped, i honestly don’t know. It will take up to 4 months to switch providers & I want to get the ball rolling on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

You do not need a broker to switch mortgages. Every bank is legally required to facilitate you switching, and every mortgage provider is required to have a process to help you switch.

They're not obliged to offer you a mortgage if you don't meet their credit criteria, but you can just apply to whoever you want. Start on bonkers.ie, that does everything you need to start off.

Advertisement