Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring two fuseboards together

Options
  • 07-10-2022 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭

Can anyone give me an idea of approx cable size required and fuseboard breakers needed as will help me do a bit of homework on cost of materials before I decided to get a sparks in to do the job. Standard 4bed house which had been divided into two flats so each consumer board would have a kitchen on it, now back as one house with two seprate meters so doing away with one meter and going to connect both consumer boards together. Runs between both are not long , approx 15mts but may need to go outside so not sure if armored cable would be required for regs. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There are a lot of variables here and quite a bit to be assessed so it would be best to get a professional to look at your specific installation. Most of the costs will not be materials so working out what is required will be of limited benefit

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If each board is already fed from a common point (at the meters) then it may make sense to connect these feed cables together close to the meters. This could be done in a small consumer unit. Then the existing boards become sub distribution boards. An assessment will need to be carried out to ensure that the single supply has sufficient capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Distribute using the existing cabling

Main isolation(+overcurrent protection?) at the origin

Supply capacity should be ok?

Don't think theres any problem with above ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,038 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I had a similar setiup and it was much easier and cheaper to join the boards (3 in my case) at the meter, keep the board in the main house as the main board and the other two in the office and the garage as sub boards. One of the two meters was removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

2011:

Appreciate the options and thanks to all for ideas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement