Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky SIRO contract up

• 07-10-2022 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,594 ✭✭✭✭

My sky siro contract is up. Are they worth pestering for another deal or am I wasting my time?

If I do move, they state i need to give 30 days and then say I Don't

Anyone done this and know the answer? And if I must give 30 days, so I do it after I move or try to gamble?

[I got a giftcard when I joined and its 30 a month so don't feel bad if I pay a proper month along with a new supplier]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭onform

My Sky Siro broadband contract is up in October, and price is going to €60 per month. I rang them and best they'd give was €45. I see they have a One Big Switch offer for new customers now for €30 pm so might be worth chancing your arm to see if they'll match that?

I placed an order for Vodafone broadband a few weeks ago when they had a One Big Switch offer - €35 pm. Because I'm moving from Siro to Siro, they can do a UAN transfer - You don't cancel with your current Siro provider - So no need to give notice. I rang Sky after I placed the VF order and they verified this. VF are doing their install tomorrow, being done through Actavo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,594 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Wonderful, thank you. I might ring them so they can verify to me too and see if they'll price match. It's annoying VF must call when the rest just post out a modem.

Is your switch over date long after your contract end?

I had Sky Broadband installed on the 11th October last year, so just a couple of days of overlap. My next billing date is 16th of October, so will probably get charged a few days extra but almost impossible to avoid it.

Yes, strange that they can't just send out the new router and save everyone the hassle. That's what Sky did last year and it worked just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭alanc2003

I'm in the same boat myself. The best sky will do for me is €45. I'm due to cancel on the 14th so will see if they offer me anything better.

The last time I switched it was to pure telecom, they posted the router out and the switch was no hassle at all. I had ordered with Vodafone and they cancelled without telling me! They couldnt provide the service even though I was already using siro. I'm reluctant to try them again this time so may switch back to pure again for €35

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

My Fibre deal is up tmrw, albeit with Pure. I have previously used Sky and Vodafone for service.

My experience of all the Telco's is that their retention offer is never on a par with their new customer deal. This was further borne out yesterday with Pure, current deal was €40pm and after promo price was €70. Rang and asked what the retention deal was, was offered €55pm. Only other promo pricing was via 18mth contract or dropping speed which still higher than "new customer" prices.

Bonkers.ie comparisons pushed me towards VF or Sky. VF were a no-go for me as they still play silly buggers with Non Irish SEPA. So I'm switching back to sky's 500mb for €35pm versus Pure's retention offer of €50pm for same package.

• Advertisement

Sounds like we have to yoyo every 12 months but so be it. I'm relieved that siro to siro from sky doesn't involve giving notice etc. After that, it's now like electricity.

Sky have the one big switch offer btw, 30 pm.

Do sky look for their kit back? Pure don't but do you get another fritzbox every time?

AFAIK all the operators now look for their kit back on cancellation/porting. I can't swear to it though as I've used my own routers for years. I do think the last time I had sky tho that they did send and request return of a router.

Good, they can have it back. Still in the box unused. Pure let me keep the fritzbox from last time.

VF are a pain needing to visit for setup, puts me off bothering with them. Think I'll rotate between pure and sky

Thats likely my own rotation too from now on ;) I've just finished my Sky Order via the onebigswitch offer (Thanks for the tip) and have already had an email confirming activation date as the 14th.

Did you pick the 14th? I wonder can I ring Pure and request switch 2 days after my contract ends with sky

• Advertisement

Just to confirm- if you move sky siro to another siro operator eg pure/VF/Digiweb using your uan, out of contract, you do not need to contact sky or give notice and there is no penalty?

So far as I am aware if you are porting an existing fibre service i.e moving from one FTTH provider to another. The porting request from your new provider stands as the canx request with your current provider.

The line release request would surely be considered as an account closure by the current provider.

Not sure if that process flow stands for SIRO but assuming the CRN/UAN is required for sign up and release from your current provider it "should" be a defacto canx request with current provider.

I didn't pick the 14th, system generated date. I will be following up with Pure to check if the porting request counts as a canx and will let the thread know 😉

Pure have confirmed that when they receive a porting/line release request that it counts as a canx request.

I was fairly certain that was the process from the last couple of times I switched providers, but great to know for certain.

I think at this point it's only ports to or from VM that don't generate automatic cancellation (happy to find out if I'm wrong tho).

Just to let you know how this went. I had the Vodafone equipment delivered last Monday. The 'engineer' from Actavo just dropped off the router and repeater (VF call it Super WiFi) and said I'd be better off waiting till the evening if I was WFH (Which I was) as it would take time to go active. So complete waste of time sending Actavo out, if I'd received the equipment in the post would have been the same difference.

Good job he didn't hang around anyway, the line only went active on Thursday morning. Sky bb was working fine till then so no big deal.

The repeater wasn't working, to make a long story short VF had to push a firmware update to the router (Had to call them a couple of times for this on 1907). That update happened today, and the repeater is working now.

I can see on the My Sky app that the billing has stopped for broadband, and also they sent me a box and label to return their router.

So, not seamless by any means but got there in the end. Sky more on the ball than VF, I would advise to stick with Sky if you can get the same price.

Checking in for anyone moving from Sky on SIRO to SIRO move, did it all go smoothly re new operator cancelling on your behalf and no notice period required?

Advertisement