Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bike front and tail lights

Options
  • 07-10-2022 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi All

what do you recommend for good front and tail light for my bike?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 juicer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have the exact same ones, will get you around any type of cycle.

If you have the money and it's for commuting, you wouldn't go wrong with a dynamo, Schmidt edelux and a rear light, never have to charge them

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Do you need lights to be seen or lights to allow you to see?

if you intend cycling at night on rural roads you’ll need a really good front light.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,578 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

To be seen as much as to see. Your eyes adjust to the dark and often you can see as much without a light as you can with one. A night with a good moon can be virtually as clear as an overcast or wet day..

Being seen is very important. Most safety now highlights how important being seen is whether on a worksite or on a slow moving vehicle

I always turn my front bike light on to flashing during winter days especially overcas. I have a helmet with an led on the back that I can set to red or flashing red and I wear a visibility top.

The quicker and easier drivers see you the safer you are.

I walk as well and always wear a visibility jacket that has sleeves with reflectors on it. The actions of your arms moving actually activates them better against oncoming car lights.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

This maybe true but as someone who does 40k on dark rural roads daily for half the year, your missing the nights without a moon that aren't clear, which is most of them. A good light is very important, I tip along at 30kmph, something I couldn't safely do with poor lights. Also lazy drivers want to see the lights hitting ditches so they take some semblance of care around bends and corners, It shouldn't be needed but it is. Same reason a decent rear light is important.

• Advertisement

I think you’re missing my point. I agree the your eyes adjust to the dark, but on dark unlit rural roads, a good light is essential so you can see potholes/hazards etc. it also means you can travel faster with more confidence. Also, a good light will allow traffic approaching a bend in the road know that you are coming towards them…in the same way that you will see car headlights lighting up the night sky even though the car is around the next bend.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Depending on your travels, you might want to carry a spare set of lights just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Havenowt

Ive this one for short (one hour) spins.

this one for longer spins:

There are cheaper options out there, but Id advise that these are the type of front lights you should be looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

For the rear light - the Garmin Varia (slightly older RTL 510 or 515 models) is excellent if you are riding quieter roads and want to be alerted to approaching cars (often before you can hear them with wind noise etc).

The other one that I find excellent is the Lezyne Strip Drive - already mentioned above.

• Advertisement

Agree i have the RLT510 and it gets brilliant. I also have the Hope District which is another great light.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I also have the rear Varia with Radar and it's great. (ALthough after a recent update connection seems to be a bit more tempermental)

How do you find the Varia front light? Was toying with one of them but thought it was too expensive at the time. Price has dropped now a bit.

At the time I went with the small Bontrager Ion 200 RT which is a brilliant little light for be seen.

The price of that Hope light though! I think that's a bit mad. What does it do that for example this won't do http://kaidomain.com/KD-2-x-Cree-XM-L2-U2-4-10-Mode-2200-Lumens-Bike-Light

I bought the above Chinese light with the full kit (Battery looks the same as the Hope one) and it is seriously bright. I haven't used it much but it still works fine 2 years on. for $38 I thought it was worth the gamble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I have the Varia front too. My favourite thing about it is that it attaches to the bottom of a Garmin mount in seconds. Light is good, battery life isn't on any of the bright / unlit settings.

It's fine for what I need (winter morning long daylight road rides or spring/autumn gravel rides where you might need full lights for the last hour or so).

I'm a bit underwhelmed but maybe that is just because the rear Varia is so good

The Varia front light is Good for about an hour/hour and a half. After that you need to recharge it. Its fine for me, as my commute is an hour each way, so I can recharge it during the day for my commute home. Its very neat as it doesn't have an external battery and it attached via the Garmin mount. for a commuter light its very good.

The Hope R4 is better in that it has a bigger battery and i can get maybe two days out of it before it needs to be recharged. I use this light on my winter bike from November to the end of January. TBH its probably too good really as I never use it on its brightest setting. its just too bright and would blind oncoming traffic. It an "All rounder light". I've used it for cycling on road/ Off road and as it also come with a Head strap so can be used as a headtorch.

Post edited by 07Lapierre on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

best light out there , it’s ridiculously bright but run it at around 250 lumens if cycling through the city or suburbs and the battery will last about 20 hours.

the buttons easy to push so you can Cuvier through the modes if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

If its for city cycling, I wouldnt get too hung up on which light as long as its cable charging - they all do the job to some degree.

However, what I would do is get multiple sets of lights as when you are taking them on and off, bringing in to be charged etc they invariably go missing and you are spending 20 minutes wondering where you put the thing.

Also, big differential is whether its easy to take the light on and off the bike - does the attachment have lots of 'bits' that can go missing - as with rechargeable you are taking them on and off every few days.

Also, you may not want to leave lights on the bike while its locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,686 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

The garmin rear light is on sale on Amazon for €135 if anyones thinking of getting one

Advertisement