Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Massive explosion at Applegreen in Creeslough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

So anyone who doesn’t like Varadkar is a moron? Got it.

Incidentally… where did I say I didn’t like Varadkar?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Cut it out the lot of you. You're behaving like children at school with comments akin to "I'm going to tell the teacher on you". Grow up!

I haven't even looked at reported posts yet but there will be sanctions for a couple of people here when I'm back on the desktop PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm not fan of FF or Martin, but I do think it's worth remembering that he is a father who has lost two children. A baby son to SIDS and a 7 year old daughter to a heart condition. Anyone having to attend this kind of tragedy would be quite likely to have memories of their own losses resurface. So I'm inclined to cut him a lot of slack in terms of how he may or may not appear right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,685 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Well fooking said… What the hell is wrong with people trying to make something out of how the leader of our country “looked” during discussions on this absolute horror story.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Uncharted2

Why are you sticking up for Varadkar and Martin. Both have to be seen to show support because of their positions nothing else. Both couldn't care less about Donegal the forgotten county.

• Advertisement

Sticking up for them, as opposed to what? Slagging and criticising them for being there yesterday as leaders, to show compassion? Wtf!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Take the political views to the Politics forum. They aren't needed on this thread.

To everyone - stick to the topic please

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Some people need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Some of the comments here are shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I know I'm not saying anything that people don't already appreciate but this is going to be very difficult going forward.

Obviously for the families directly involved it is devastating life will never be the same again.

For the wider community that filling station or whatever takes it's place will be a permanent reminder of this tragedy.

There is a glamping type thing just across the road. It will be surreal for people there next knowing what happened just across the road.

The shop is on the main road and virtually every time I pass there it is to go to some beach, forest park, night away etc. It is a beautiful part of the world.

Obviously those things will still happen, life goes on and that is right and proper. But that site will be a permanent reminder of how quickly it can all be snatched away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

No more shameful than yourself tbh.

You are using the deaths of 10 people to score cheap internet points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

Just do yourself and decent people a favour, and wrap this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

It's an English disease caused by gutter tabloids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I found the official establishment response to the tragedy to be lacking. I thought that both party leaders appeared to be reluctant and disinterested. That was my observation from what I saw on the 9 o’clock news. I thought RTÉ responded very poorly too. I put on RTÉ television yesterday at 1pm to see updates of the search and rescue on the One O’Clock news only to find that there was no OneO’Clock news.

I had to go to Sky News to get an update.

I have no idea why you are all finding my views so upsetting. I can only assume that any diversion away from the echo chamber here is a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,842 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I would have issues with Martin's and Varadkar's politics but I thought their responses were genuine. The way Martin went out of his way to shake the hand of the local opposition TD speaks to his personal values.

It must be incredibly difficult to respond in such circumstances when you are a leader.

It really is not the time for politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,212 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Let's hope that the Gardaí & fire services had personnel on hand during the recovery operation, gathering clues and evidence as to possible cause. Whilst understandable that the emergency services would concentrate on extracting people, a bit concerning to hear it reported that evidence may have been lost in that process.

I sincerely hope this is not another 'Stardust' situation, where the underlying events are unclear for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I thought Martin’s comments were genuine and struck the right note yesterday. While I may disagree with his politics, I do find him a genuine person and I believe that all genuine people would have pretty much the same reaction yesterday. It truly is hard to comprehend for anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

From looking at the TV Guide RTE TV news was at 1.15 yesterday. Hard to blame them for this. I was on the move at that time and listened to Katie Hannon on RTE radio. I thought that she covered the story well and displayed lots of empathy, as you would expect

in relation to Micheal Martin I heard him on radio 1 yesterday morning and thought that he had very little to say and kept repeating the point over and over again. However I thought that he was very good on the evening news and came across as genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

This post is one step removed from stating "This country is a kip".

It does a huge disservice to the people of Cresslough, the people who risked their lives in the immediate aftermath of the explosion to rescue victims, the emergency services, those who comforted the grief stricken and all others who are far too many to mention.

As a Donegal man I am distraught at the devastation and despair that has befallen the people of Cresslough. Your "observations" and "opinions" are worthless compared to the bravery and fortitude of these people. Their grief is shared by all people of Donegal. We do not need internet warriors telling us what matters.

Fair enough. I didn’t see what you saw. And I’m not at all upset with your take here. Ten human lives lost. I think pretty much everyone is very shocked and “upset” about it.

Not all of us are intimately upset, but just feeling terribly sad for those poor lives lost. Varadkar and Martin are absolutely no different.

There are no diversions away from an echo chamber. That’s in your head, I think.

• Advertisement

My observation that in my opinion the leaders of the main parties and the national broadcaster totally failed this weekend in their response to a national disaster does “a disservice to the people of Cresslough”? Can you explain please?

Also, where or how are you comparing my observations on an internet chat room to the response of the immediate community in Donegal?!? Like, what exactly are you trying to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Economics101

A plea to Mods: please close this thread. It has become utterly pointless and tasteless.

Things like "politicians are not really interested in Donegal so they are only putting on a show of faux sympathy" (not a direct quote, but you get the drift). The same people, if the said politicians were absent, would accuse them of shamefully neglecting Donegal.

So out of respect, please end this tasteless thread

• This is quite a good & interesting technical explanation of what may have happened, and explains why a subsequent widespread fire didn’t occur, also why there’s evidence it is probably not linked with petrol vapours. Time will tell more, but as it indicates here it’s going to be a difficult technical investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭questioner22

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I give full marks to the mod on this thread for his/her patience. I would have thrown in the towel ages ago myself. It is either total immaturity and lack of empathy on behalf of some posters, or that old old chestnut of politics in the North of our country and the hatred of anything seen as vaguely Dublin based.

Muffler you need a break from this. Pity there is no facility for the mod to "hide a post" temporarily so that both the mod and other posters get a short break from those with agendas unconnected to the premise of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thank you.

Glad you didn't say "here here" 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭AyeGer

How do you expect them to appear at such a tragic event. Upbeat? Sprightly? They behaved in an appropriately somber manner.

• Advertisement

• Imagine arguing about how Martin looked on the news when 10 families have lost someone they care about & many others will be haunted by what they saw, heard & experienced that day.

Theres kids who’s parents will never get to kiss them goodnight again, they won’t see them again. They will light candles for them, but never on their birthday cakes.

For those who did survive, the injuries may scar them physically or mentally for the rest of their lives. They may have survivors guilt.

And I think about the family who was Tod their daughter had died, only to find out after the dad rushed to the hospital to confirm, that she was in fact still unaccounted for. I think about her mother who paced for hours in the cold night begging for news about her daughter.

There’s so much to think about here & a politician who by all accounts won’t be relevant in a few months or years, is hardly the important point here.

The fact is there is nothing they or anyone else can say & there’s no right or wrong way to say it. This won’t swiftly be forgotten & the only thoughts i can spare are for the families who’ve lost someone dear to them, the folks who have an empty space at the kitchen table or one less school lunch to make in future.

Anyone who feels that the political response wasn’t good enough for them ask yourself what is good enough exactly? And what would have changed had they responded in a more favourable (to you) fashion?

There are no words to express the sadness I feel for everyone affected.

Requiescat in Pace.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement