Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An post problem

• 07-10-2022 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

I ordered two items second hand off Adverts from two different sellers. Posted around the same time.

I live in a apartment black. Normally I get one of those collect from the depot letters in my post box as I'm often already at work when the post man comes.

I left the house at 9.00 am this morning and came home after 9 to find one of the packages outside my door. There is three other apartments beside my door and a short hallway to four more apartments.

I was stunned and have no idea what possed the postman to leave it there.

I'm worried about my other package. It easily could come yesterday and someone nicked it.

If it doesn't show up there I have any recourse for comp from an post for there actions? It wasn’t expensive but was hard to get and was for my partner birthday.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,144 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

If you don't receive it then get onto the seller. It's up to them to follow up and refund you if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭jo187

Yeah to be fair to the seller it's not there fault if the postman left outside the door of a busy araparment block. Like what if was away it would been there for a week.

I try contacting an post but I doubt have much luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I would keep on their case and register a formal complaint. In my opinion and experience, An Post deliveries are not the safe dependable service that they used to be.

Recently I have had registered letters that require signatures, delivered without requesting a signature. A work parcel was left in a re-cycle bin outside the office, with a note pushed through the door to tell me it was in there... ironically the note was on the back of the official notice form that should have been issued to tell me that the package had been safely returned to the sorting office for personal collection. On another occasion, the same note was left hanging out of a wall mounted ashtray in our car park, to say that a package had been left with another business, down the road. I have also had packages left out on my home doorstep on rainy days. I have had to call to the sorting office to tell them to stick to their own formal procedure that if delivery can not be completed, leave the collection form and bring the package back to the sorting office.

A house on my road is long vacant and has its letterbox sealed, I have taken official correspondence addressed to the named previous occupier that the postman just left the doorstep, and reposted them marked 'return to sender - address unoccupied"

It is a pain to do, but I always raise a complaint, just so that there is a paper trail record , when something inevitably does go missing on me. I don't know what is happening at An Post , but these examples are from two separate locations that I operate in. I can only assume it is down to falling training standards. I know that private courier deliveries are far worse with their drop and run approach, but you would expect better from An Post, or has the increased competition in the sector just resulted in a worse service for the consumer, just like with insurance, electricity, and broadband etc - a race to he bottom for service and to the top with prices?

Thats it totally. I was onto there Web chat

She was clearly annoyed with me. I screenshot them as a record of it.

I don't like order online for this reason. But never have an post been this bad. We're also paying for this service but they act so surprised when you complain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

It is not the sellers fault. If he posts something to to an address, at your request, and the seller normally will not be there, then it is the buyers problem. They are taking the mickey asking for a delivery that is not really possible. Unless you pay for the insurance or registered post, then tough luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You succeeded in contacting someone from An Post?

What's the secret? Where is this web chat?

I've sent in email and even written complaints by post and never a reply from them in years. You'd swear they weren't in the letter business.

Yeah it's on there customer service page. For contact us. Web chat Monday to sat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

So two packages posted in two totally different areas and op is all stressed up that both did not arrive together.

1- You do not know that both were posted at the same time.

2 - An post are not like santa - they do not collect from every post box / post office at the exact same time. Some rural ones are as early as 2.30pm

3 - Nothing says they cannot drop packages beside the post box inside the apartment block. Maybe get the apartment managers to sort something.

4 - You have no contract with an post. The sender paid the money, The contract is with the sender.

5 - If you know you have a parcel coming with an post - why not just wait for the delivery? If you knw you won't be there, ask the sender to send another day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I can see why the OP doesn't want to lay this at the door of the seller, they sent it with An Post in good faith.

I occasionally order stuff online, and have no way of knowing who the package will be sent with. Some are far better than others, and only once ever can I recall knowing in advance who will be delivering. I would definitely tailor my purchases according to delivery channel if I could.

An Post has a very efficient "collect from depot" system which just involved filling out a small card if they can't actually deliver a parcel inside a door - why was this not used?

It is rarely possible to know when a parcel will be coming - on the occasions when they do text you in advance, it's often only an hour or two in advance, and even then it's not always reliable.

Some companies offer a re-direct service if you know you won't be in - I have used this, and every single time the package was still delivered to my house (or next door, or three doors up to people I've never even met, or dropped in the porch). I wasted hours in each case calling to the shop where it was supposed to be delivered (confirmed by text, on one occasion I even got a text confirming it had been delivered to the shop), and then hunting around the neighbourhood to see if it had been delivered elsewhere because it never showed up where it was meant to.

Online purchasing is fantastic, but I rarely do it for all of these reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,693 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

An Post have been absolutely brutal the last few years...... next day letter postage delivery has become maybe this week, maybe next week, maybe never.....

I sent a (time critical) registered letter last Saturday to Lithuania, and the last tracking update was Tuesday morning at 4am saying it left the Dublin mail centre, and nothing since.. (we were actually joking that it would be just easier to fly over with a fresh copy of the letter and hand deliver it to it's recipient! We are not joking anymore... OH is going to fly tomorrow or Tuesday with letter in hand... because I have zero confidence of the original letter arriving there before midweek).

• Advertisement

Well both were sent from Dublin so not crazy to think might come around the same time.

Out of curiosity are you always this much of a condescending prick or is it only when your on the internet, as you don't have the balls to talk to people like this in real life?

As stated an post have a very good system where they leave a note and you collect from the depot. Why risk leaving the package at the door? Of a busy armpatment block.

An post do have a contract with there customers to deliver the packages safely. Again they have a system in place for this type of thing and the person decided against it.

Yes I was waiting on a package, so according to you I should take a half day off work and wait around for them? You really are some gobshite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

An post only track registered post within the country? What further detail are you expecting?

No signatures are requested since the start of the pandemic. That's not unique to An Post either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

So you want a silver service level of service for a couple of quid from an post.

You are not their customer (spelt "their" not "there" - now THAT is condescending (I make plenty of spelling errors myself - this is just an example of what condescending means)), the sender is.

Both being sent from Dublin makes absolutely zero difference. Many Dublin sub offices have early collections and you are also taking a strangers word that it was posted at a certain time. It could have been posted in your local post office, but it still takes that same journey to a central sorting office and back.

It was sent "standard" post. If you wanted next day guaranteed, you need to pay for that service.

If you live in an apartment block, organise a simple system for packages or be available when the package arrives.

Yes, if I was face to face I would tell you the same in the same manner. I don't fluff about afraid of hurting someone "feelings" with a direct no nonsense answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I didn't see any mention of that anywhere, where was their awareness campaign and do they tell customers paying for the service that proof of delivery will not be available?

The explanation of the registered post service on their website says that you buy 'proof of receipt with a signature'. I suppose the postman signs it, but that is not proof of delivery, especially if the package is 'delivered' to a bin or a different address with notice pushed into an external wall mounted ashtray.

https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Sending/Postal-Rates/Registered-Post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,693 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

An post only track registered post within the country? What further detail are you expecting?

Well I'd love to be able to track my letter to its final destination. My contract is with An Post, and them simply advising that the letter has left their depot is not really good enough... I paid €10.50 for registered post to be able to track it, and have seen no updates for 6 days now.

Maybe the issue is not with An Post at all, but I've noticed postal services in general have gone to sh1te lately... My OH sent a small package to Lithuania last December and it still has not arrived. I used to be able to send a letter to my mother (Dublin to Dublin) or to my sister (Dublin to Waterford), and it would arrive the next day, but now it can take anything up to a week.

Maybe An Post need to get onto their international partners and ask why the service is gone so sh1tty lately? I don't really know, all I know is Postal services (both internally and externally) have gone to absolute pot in recent times! is it covid related, war related? I just dont know, but I do know I have absolutely zero faith in postal services these days compared to just a few short years ago.

My OH is flying to Lithuania on Thursday to hand deliver another copy of the letter I sent this day last week, because I have absolutely zero confidence the copy I sent will arrive there before she does.

Advertisement