Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friend not vaxxed

Options
  • 08-10-2022 4:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭

My friend is a woman age 32 who is not an Irish citizen white she has lived here for 10 years walks with guide dog eg 60 per cent blind she gets no welfare payments she works part time fixing pcs

She told me she got COVID about a year ago

She says I don't need to get vaxxed eg immune to COVID she tested negative fo COVID about 3 months ago

I asked her was she vaxxed yesterday

Can I bring her to chemist to get vaxxed eg I'll pay for it

She can't get a medical card

She is applying to be an Irish citizen

She does not believe in weird conspiracy theorys re 5g vaxx

she is a smart rational woman she uses phone apps with audio assistance to read send emails WhatsApp messages

any advice welcome she uses medical services in Dublin 1

Since she has a dog is partially blind her options re rental accomodation are very limited I don't think she can get hap rent allowance

I got vaxxed in the local chemist I have to go back and get boosted in 5 days

It cost me nothing she is in good health I don't think she recieves any dole or welfare payments

I googled it it says COVID immunity varys but generally fades away after 12 months after the person contracted COVID 19

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭fran38

It's her choice to get jabbed or not. Leave her be is my opinion.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I would say you possibly could, i got my third shot in a pharmacy close by me after getting the others in a vaccination centre, now i don't know the technical stuff on boosters etc but i believe that once she has a pps number and photo ID she should be good to go..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭YellowLead

If she wants to get vaccinated she can go to one of the walk in clinics still up and running - no appointment necessary (you’ll find them on the HSE website). Without PPS you need proof of address, and everybody needs photo ID eg passport.

If there is a local pharmacy doing vaccinations then she probably can get one there, not sure why that would be different for non nationals but sure just ask.

• Administrators Posts: 14,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

The vaccines are free. I doubt the reason she's not vaccinated is because of cost. She seems like an independent woman, able to take care of herself. She most likely knows what social welfare payments she is entitled to. Maybe she has enough income to cover what she needs in life.

You could advise her to talk to her GP or optician. If she has a guide dog, she's most likely registered blind. If she's registered blind then she's entitled to certain benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

If its her 1st covid vaccine she will have to go to a hse vaccine clinic, pharmacys and gps are only doing boosters now. But it will still be free even if she has no pps number

• Advertisement

She doesn't want to get vaxed and she's had COVID already. It's her choice. Not being vaxed really only affects her - the vaccine doesn't prevent transmission to any great degree. You have offered to pay for it and she has refused. This isn't about money for her, it's a personal choice, the reasons don't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭MakersMark

The vaccine doesn't prevent her from getting or spreading covid. That's medical fact.

It may help to reduce the effects of covid if she catches it.

Why do you care?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I understand I'll probably have to go to a private doctor to get her vaxxed ,

she has no adress ,she,s homeless, no medical card, shes 70 per cent blind, sometimes she sleeps on the streets, are you saying its grand,

ah sure theres no way that covid 19 can be deadly or harmful ,its like a cold,

dont mention bill gates, or 5 g, etc

theres no way covid 19, shes not an irish citizen, she cant apply for housing, shes not on the housing list .she speaks english with a slight irish accent.

my opinion everyone should get vaxxed for herself, the wider community, society in general ,

She thinks shes superhuman,

i already got covid ,i,m grand, theres no way i can get it again .

i looked on hse form, info required, eirgrid code, photo id, i dont know if she has a passport, or a medical card, or a pps no,no drivers license,

her eircode, is the sleeping bag outside dunnes stores,

i dont think shes been on a plane since 2009.

shes get her food, mail, medical care from centre for homeless services

she pays her bills with money from casual work , pays 10 euro per month to acess data internet ,

shes an expert on ios apple devices ,pcs, laptops,

she gets no payment from social welfare since she is not an irish citizen

i never got an eircode ,i have no medical card ,

i got an vaxx appointment arranged by hse worker as a favour,

i believe she will get vaxxed if she realises she is no longer invurnable to the virus

An Post have an Address Point Service for homeless people who have no fixed address, so they can access post, and essential services. It is completely free.

Focus Ireland or the Peter McVerry Trust would also help your friend. As an aside, a landlord cannot refuse someone because they have a guide dog.

If your friend does not want to be vaccinated, that is her choice.

She doesn't have to be an Irish citizen to qualify for social welfare. Doctors are no longer giving first dose vaccines. These can only be gotten in a vaccination centre now.

Can you speak to the homeless services she's in contact with to get her set up on whatever benefits she entitled to? I'd be very surprised if people haven't already spoken to her. If she doesn't want to engage then not a lot you can do if she's considered compos mentis.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Sweet Talkin Romeo

so her being homeless is secondary to your concerns over your unvaccinated friend's inertia towards getting something she doesn't want or need ?

offer her a room (if you have a spare one) instead; surely that'd be far more of a help to her - considering her overall situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Okay a bit to unpack there. First, she does not need to be an Irish citizen to get the covid jabs in Ireland.

Second, if she went through covid she is somewhat immune, and I'd like to think we are past stigmatising that. She doesn't want jabs, great, nobody cares by now.

Three, she's blind, homeless, and you're worried that she should get vaxxed to serve the 'wider community'? Surely you can appreciate she has other priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Tork

Is this a friend or a project? There's something a bit strange about the way you're writing about her (and I'm taking into account that you have a rather odd posting style on boards anyway). This lady has a list of problems as long as your arm and maybe shouldn't have come to Ireland in the first place. Yet you're fixated on her not getting vaccinated above everything else? If she doesn't want to get jabbed that's her own business. She managed to come to Ireland in the first place and has a job so she doesn't sound helpless. I also noticed that you don't really know a lot of what's going on in her life - you're guessing - so she's not telling you everything. As is her right. You'd be better off trying to help her get accommodation, a permanent job or helping her to return to her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

She has no job, she does dog grooming, its not that she does not want to get a vaccination, she thinks she,s immune to covid, since she got it a year ago, i dont know why she came here from south america, i dont know if her family is alive,she wants to stay in dublin, her income is small ,lets say 60 euro per week, theres no way she could pay for rental accomodation anywhere in dublin ,

She is at least 70 per cent blind, i dont know what work she could do .she cant read books, she uses audio accessability apps to use iphone menus , eg every email ,text is read out loud,sms txt is read used by audio read out loud mode, alltxt is max size on screen

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I don't get this bee you have in your bonnet. My adult son isn't vaccinated, and I only got vaccinated about 7 months ago for travel. The vaccine is near pointless for healthy people. Since it has almost no efficacy against social spreading, it's no biggie. Since she has had it and her immune system coped, well, shes unlikely to get any benefit from it.

OP, I really don't know the purpose of this thread. Personal Issues is for seeking advice. Your friend seems to have a lot of issues going on. Getting her help and support should be your focus rather than getting her a vaccine she doesn't want.

Thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement