Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC History 23-24 DBQ?

Options
  • 08-10-2022 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭

I think the DBQ is due a change at the end of this year for the next cycle. Anyone know when it is announced and what might it be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

That would make sense: I distinctly recall the chief examiner for History saying that the DBQ were the most challenging part of the LC exam paper for students. We can't be having that!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Yes. I am on about the DBQ being changed every so often. This year it is Ireland Topic 5. I think it is due a change next year. I was wondering when this change is announced and what it is likely to be?

Re the examiner. I teach OL and do the course in one year (am not in mainstream) and never spend time at the DBQ topic. Bar question 4, maybe, students should be able to deal with the questions and do well. All they need is practice the question skills from previous papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This was posted a while back

I'll check for the official link.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Ah, yes. The DBQ changes every two years: NI now, 2023 LC (2nd year), so Europe, 1920 -1945 will be the LC DBQ for students sitting the 2024 and 2025 LC.

I wish to God they'd ditch some of the Case Studies as they're awful non-stories. Jarrow, Eucharistic Congress, Coleraine, Apprentice Boys being especially jejune. Far, far better if they chose something like life during the Siege of Leningrad, or a case study on the gulags (which had some 18 millions prisoners), or a series of autobiographies on life during the Holocaust (Victor Frankl, Primo Levi, the extraordinary 1985 11-hour-long Shoah documentary, etc). As the Holocaust has only come up twice in the HL LC exam in the past 11 years, most teachers don't even get students to do essays on it which, while practical in terms of exams, is a deep loss. The entire European course needs to be less focused on Britain and much more focused on the magnitude of the savagery of what happened in eastern Europe. A lot of old cultural cringe mentalities in the NCCA and SEC still deciding what is put in the course, and what is left out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Damn it. Dictatorship and Democracy is a juicy topic. Hitler and Stalin and all. It is of interest to those who might just not be bothered. Regarding the Case Studies. I just don't know. I just don't know. Sunningdale. Coleraine. There's something about Fisheries. Desperate. Is the plan to end all interest in history.

• Advertisement

Fisheries and Jarrow are odd ones. Definitely could think of better ones. But so handy to answer the 40mark on that one or even the 100mark Q if it comes up.

Really surpsied they havent gone back to Retreat from Empire yet. That was 2012/13? They just seem to be repeating the usual few.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Im trying to brush up on my British history and Jarrow march would it seem not even be a huge moment in British history, i would imagine coal miners strike in 1984, poll tax riots in 1990 or Thatcherism affect on northern england in general would be much better and interesting topics on British history. Would post war 2 britain and labour under atlee be a more interesting case study, the birth of the welfare state and suburbia? anything else they could use for that era of british history?

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Is this information (the past, current and future dbq) on any designated website?

• Advertisement
Advertisement