Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police attempt to kill man at McDonald’s? (US)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,237 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Maybe let wait till all details released here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Meh, more garbage news from wacky America.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

i watched the video and you hear the cop telling dispatch that was the car that drove off on him earlier that week...and when he opened the door and asked the driver to exit, first thing the driver did was put the car into reverse, hitting the cop with car door as he pulled back, rather than obey instructions...

obviously the cop was nuts to start shooting but it's not a case of a cop randomly shooting at someone for sitting in their car just eating a mcd's.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Fascinated to know what more we could learn that makes opening fire on a burger okay

I only see him reverse when he gets shot.

someone comes up from behind you (no blue lights?) and just whips open your door tells you to get out grabs you you pull away they whip a gun out you gtfo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭eggy81

Guy seems to knock the car into reverse as he asked why whether by accident or what I don’t know.cop reacts like he’s gotten a fright for some reason. Kind of jumps into action suddenly. Weird.

Clearly knocks car into reverse as he asks why.

i probably would have too. People impersonate cops. This guy had no blue lights on either.

I’ve been stopped by cops. “License and registration please” “roll down your window please” never just ripping me out of my car while I’m parked at a McDonald’s in the middle of chewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,639 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Like the middle east and Africa, I've just given up on the US at this stage.

🙈🙉🙊

Yep. Opening fire as he did looks massively out of proportion for the offence. Maybe more to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

How dare him drive off whilst the cop tries to put 15 in his head.

The more to it seemingly is the cops ego needed correcting if he thought this was some perp who got away from him earlier in the day or week and that deserved skipping several steps of good process.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

Some of the following comments in the twitter account are amazing.

If you notice when the car switches gears to drive forward he stops firing for a second then KEEPS FIRING as the car DRIVES AWAY. Even chasing it on foot while still trying to make opportunistic shots to kill the guy as he runs for his life.

Scary situation when tgst sort of **** can happen alright. And he then gets charged. Unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 40,229 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

It's disturbing but not surprising.

The first 5 shots, okay we all get spooked 🤷‍♂️, but stopping and then firing next 5? That is an attempted execution.

Also unloading 10 bullets in an area that has bound to have other people around is bananas. He has no idea if their is anyone in that parked red car or if he is firing directly through the window in the building.

But but but, lets not jump to conclusions. The lunatic should be in prison.

Oh no no no. Do you know how many officers have walked for spraying bullets, even murdering people in drive thrus? That’s a qualified immunity!

That clip is like an ad for the latest version of Grand Theft Auto. Mental stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Cop been reading too much Judge Dredd comics!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,842 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Maybe the cop was more of a Supermacs man

• Registered Users Posts: 36,152 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Zero excuse for cop here, I don't care what the kid did, putting the car into reverse was to drive away, but I'm sure they'll twist it that he drove at him with car to kill him, so he shot back, thankfully video is there to show a scared kid fleeing, not a raging lunatic driving into a cop at 80 mph to kill him, if there was no video this is exactly what the cop would claim though

The US is just increasingly looking like some kind of strange, corrupt, police state.

The level of power and abuse of power that you see in videos like this is something that simply shouldn't be happening in a developed democracy.

It's like something out of an unhinged military dictatorship and it's like as if they've normalised it as somehow acceptable and can't see the problems.

These things like "Oh but he didn't turn off his engine" or "he ran" or whatever to justify shooting someone multiple times in the back or something like that. It's absolutely nuts and isn't what you'd expect to see in a functioning country.

It seems like if you're stopped by cops over there you have to basically start going "Sir! Yes Sir!" and prostrate yourself to whatever insane demands are made and be terrified of talking back in case you'll be beaten, tasered or shot dead for any kind of 'non-compliance'. That isn't how a free society works.

The footage of the way the protests were policed was absolutely shocking. Protesters being beaten, driven over all sorts of stuff. It's literally like something you'd see in a corrupt dictatorship and I don't think they are really willing to accept that they've a serious problem and that it's apparently becoming worse.

I'm not saying the US doesn't have its good points, but this certainly is not one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Before I start, I'm just stating facts here. I couldn't care less about any of the people involved on this, nor the country it took place in.

It's scant on info, specifically the incident the day before, ie: the reason he approached this vehicle again (plates didn't match the vehicle). The approach was wrong, imo, but no one can say he accidentally put it in reverse. He made a very obvious and clear decision, imo, to go into reverse and start moving away. I also heard "why?" being said as he was doing it.

The shooting itself is, as expected in 'Merica, over the top, excessive and unnecessary ?with the current info). But, I've also seen worse and warranted.

Cop is fired anyway, was only in the job 7 months and still in probation. Someone got a bit too excited I'd imagine and let their imagination run away with itself and created a violent situation in his head which didn't match reality. There's probably more to come against the cop.

Still, I'd never be a cop over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Looks suspect enough but need more information. But man was not shot for eating a take out. Just like a gun pointed at a pregnant woman adds nothing to the story. We all know why the language is used though.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭GSBellew

There is more to this than a random incident of a cop deciding to shoot someone for eating a burger......

I'm not saying it was right, but it clearly was not a completely random event.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

From my local station. The evasion charge has been dropped. No indication of whether there is any merit to a possible charge relating to the suspected stolen car. (i.e. doesn't seem to say if the car actually was a stolen one or not)

Brennand suspected Cantu’s car was stolen and called for cover. However, before other officers arrived, he walked up to the car and opened the door, where Cantu and another passenger were eating food.

Cantu put the vehicle in reverse with the door still open and started driving, SAPD said. The door hit Brennand, and he opened fire.

Brennand was later fired for violating departmental tactics and procedures not long after the shooting, SAPD said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Seems an over reaction from the cop then but again eating a burger adds nothing to the events.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The problem is that the police forces in America has become more like the military, from the way they train, their tactics and their personnel. Alot of the police officers have come from the military and have served in middle East and they are bringing that experience into the police force which is totally different to serving in a hostile country. The attitude seems to be take action first and apologise later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Yet the statistics show incredible restraint in the American police.

The number of unarmed people shot dead each year by them, nevermind innocent people, is incredibly small, especially given how violent and armed the society they police is.

Advertisement