Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public liability insurance on farmland question

• 08-10-2022 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,I have a question on public liability insurance,in relation to a farm that we recently inherited from our late mother.My brother uses this farm for grazing,and also owns his own farm.Do we need to take out a separate insurance policy for the inherited farm(5 of us have a share in this);it's my understanding that before the death of my parents,both farms were insured under the same policy.There's currently no public liability insurance on the inherited farm,and I'm anxious to get this resolved,as there are animals on it,and is situated along a main road.Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Whatever insurance your parents had died with them. You need to get your own insurance and yes you need to indicate that you have two farms to cover if you want them covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Malbcull22

Thanks for your reply.I'll look into getting in touch with a broker,and see what type of policy to I need for each farm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

It is preferable to have your own insurance. However, if your brother effectively controls the land for farming purposes, he can extend his policy to note this location and provide "specific indemnity" to the legal owners

Ok thanks,that's good to know.I'll discuss this with my brother,and decide what will work best for us.

Just an update on original query,we got a separate insurance policy drawn up,but it turns out my brother had also added the second farm onto his own policy(communication has broken down)

As my brother is effectively farming on the inherited land without any agreement in place,should we now put something more formal in place?Seeing as we will own the property equally,we need to work out who's resonsible for paying bills etc.We're hoping in the long term to sell this property,but will have to wait and see if relations improve among family members

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Even though your brother has insurance on the land his insurers need to provide "specific indemnity" to the legal owners. There should be no cost to this. What this does is , if you are named in any action by a claimant, it will pass on any associated costs or awards to your brothers insurers. It is standard practice that a claimants solicitor will name both the land owner and occupier in any action and it costs money to be released from it.

Thanks again Eggs For Dinner for clarification on the point above🙂

Advertisement