Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weekly Charge for Winter Grazing of Store Lambs?

• 08-10-2022 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Was chatting a farmer I would bump into every now and again the other day. Like a lot of men he has gone into dairying but not on huge scale. He was saying with all the heavy rain that's falling up here in NW that he is going to have to put in cows earlier than he hoped and not leave out younger stock too late. I have around 70 ewe lambs that I will be holding over the winter to sell as hoggetts next year. Would be about 30 to 35 kg on average weight wise. I asked him if he would have any ground that I could put them in on for say December and January given fact he won't get land grazed out fully given weather conditions here.

He said that he may well have and he would have a better idea in a months time. I've never winter grazed stock with another person but do know of a few fellas that get strong ewes away from December to end of February to dairy farmers to tidy out paddocks for them and that they typically pay a euro a week per ewe to the Dairy man.

Advantage to Dairy man is their fields get well grazed out and that helps quality of grass the next Spring. Advantage for sheep farmer is their own ground gets a rest while stock are away grazing on good quality ground.

Am just wondering what would be a fair weekly rate for store lambs who obviously don't eat nearly as much as a strong ewe. In fairness it's me asking that man if he could take lambs in from me so if it suits him I will do it but price would want to be reasonably realistic too:)

Appreciate thoughts from anyone with experience of this type of arrangement.

Thanks.

Comments

Advertisement