Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Days in office

Options
  • 08-10-2022 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

I recently went for an interview and hopefully will get this role.

I am currently working one day a week in office but with this new position they are seeking 2 days. If I was offered job could I negotiate just one day or how should I approach it? I know some departments in this company work 1 day in office.

I would have a long commute otherwise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭CPTM

It will probably depend on the team. In my opinion if it's very important to the manager they'll mention it and ensure its ok with you. But you could ask how required it is if for example there are doctor's appointments or things like that which might conflict, could exceptions be made and then judge their response.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭zg3409

If it's a new company and a new role you probably want to be in the office as much as possible at the start to get to know people, particularly if some people are only in certain days.

Once you have a heavy workload you could argue you get more done at home etc. Once in you could ask colleagues what's the norm or what does the direct manager expect.

It varies by manager and company and policies or push from the top can change things along with actual project or needs to be hands on or have in face planning sessions.

You should assume the first 6 months will be a nightmare finding your feet, learning on the job, playing catch up etc.

You could negotiate after 6 months or 1 year you want to be home more but I would expect to be in the office a lot at the start. The employer set up too many impact as some jobs have been 95% online since before COVID such as international software teams.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If you are offered the job, the company will have at least one or possible two other people in reserve in case it does not work out with you. If the second day in the office in a deal breaker you may find the company will go with someone else, so you need to be clear in your own mind if it is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,975 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Why don't you just look for a job closer to home?

Signing up for a job knowing it has a long commute is crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭fire_man

Thanks for replies.Where I live there isn't much work in my area.My current employer are flexible and have approved one day in office but the pay would be better in new role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭thefa

Exactly. Would imagine the 2 days was advertised and 1 day preference would have want to be strongly communicated in the process to make it an easier negotiation if an offer came through.

Might be worth weighing up is the move really worth it if the 1 day in the office is important. How much extra will you earn after tax, how much will go on extra commuting costs and how much hours extra will be spent commuting?

Advertisement