Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disco S5 trailer

• 09-10-2022 10:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭

Yawn

Not one moment of that trailer convinced me that this isn't going to be another Season of "Star Trek: Burnham's Enotions"

.... And so trying to make "Let's Fly" a thing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭Rawr

As usual, I’m glad that they are honest enough in their trailer to not hoodwink me into watching this season. Much like my avoidance of Season 4 based on the trailer, it’s clear that this is a Michael-centric Slock-Trek show and won’t improve from that. Yet again, I may read about the episodes here, but I can’t muster an iota of desire to actually watch it.

I really wish they would just wrap this production and reallocate the funding to the other Trek shows. Right now I feel like they are just content milling until they can get up to Season 7 and then end without losing face.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah, that's just pure meh.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Might just be worth being part of the overall series thread?

Had a look at it out of naked curiosity and I could care less. Looks bland and utterly bereft of charm, so nothing has changed there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Doodah7

53 seconds of 'oh I hate that character, hate that character, that one too, ah Saru!!!, hate that next character...'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

You hate 4 characters? How is that possible? Apart from Saru there's just Michael and Tilly.

Ah, I suppose also have Stamets, Culber and Adira.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,600 ✭✭✭corkie

New characters announced.

In STAR TREK: DISCOVERY Season 5, Captain Burnham and the crew of the U.S.S. Discovery uncover a mystery that sends them on an epic adventure across the galaxy to find an ancient power whose very existence has been deliberately hidden for centuries.

But there are others on the hunt as well… dangerous foes who are desperate to claim the prize for themselves and will stop at nothing to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

That spoilered text is weird. Ancient and centuries old doesn't really sound right when that could still be centuries younger than the Discovery itself.

Also smacks of a shallow fetch-quest *yet again*. Can they not write anything else, these people?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

So a mixture of star wars scenery with national treasure / the da vinchi code story telling, other than it looks pretty it is going to be mind numbing. If they could stop Michael giving speeches though it would be a huge improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

Amazing that we're at season 5 already.....to think during the TNG/DS9 era, we had Season 5 content like:

Redemption, Unification, I,Borg, The Inner Light, Apocalypse Rising, For the Uniform, In Purgatory's Shadow/By Inferno's Light, Ties of Blood and Water, Empok Nor, Call to Arms.....among many other great episodes. Sad really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It has been a show in search of a premise until Season 3, flailing about til it found its own groove. Not a particularly good groove and a waste of an interesting setting (far far future where the Federation is functionally defunct), but at least by Season 5 it has its own thing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I can't believe we are still clinging to the possibility it will be better. I said it last season and somehow, they actually made it worse. The writing, directing and editing is just terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I'll still watch as a Trekkie at heart but will be performing self-flagellation while watching each episode

Oh I bailed after season 3 so have no belief the show is redeemable. I just meant that by season 3 they finally decided what the show would be about at least. Cos it took 2 seasons just to find a premise.

Same, but I've resigned myself to no longer having hope. The writing level is just too low. At the risk of yelling at a passing cloud here, it just isn't Star Trek for me, and echoes nothing about what made Star Trek what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well.... It's Trek... It's just not GOOD Trek. As others have said, the biggest missed opportunity was the soft reboot with being flung into the far far future. GOD, the POTENTIAL. You could have had a whole new show about that. An underdog Federation trying to rebuild while surrounded by more powerful species (Friend and foe). Don't do the warpcore-destroying-crying-alien. Just have had The Federation fall from grace 500 years before. Don't need to go into specifics. Just accept it as fact and move on. Given their limited resources you could even have maintained a similar enough Federation Starship design aesthetic: Human, Vulcan, you could even have included Klingon and Roluman etc. Have THEIR ships as only incrementally different - Hey, cost saving. While going radically different for newer species. Heck, they could STILL have had Burnham emotionally monologging about the "Hope of reaching out to new friends who will help rebuild The Federation in love and peace and equality.... blah blah blah". But no, that would divert the laser-tight focus (obsession) with Burnham.

So yeah, I'll hate-watch 'cos I've never given up on Trek before and at least we have SNW and LD and Section 31 is now probably dead in the water. So, silver-lining.

I don't even consider it bad Star Trek per se...there have been glimpses of potential through the various seasons, but the writing has continually, and consistently, ruined any morsel of faith I may have had in it. I don't hate-watch it either....when you disconnect it from your expectations of what Star Trek is, it can be enjoyable in that old switch your brain off way. Sure, all incarnations of Star Trek have had stinker moments...of that there's no doubt, but thematically, they've nailed the writing/story telling/thought provocation end of things more than they fluffed it. Discovery, for me anyway, has been almost devoid of anything I'd say was at the core of what Star Trek was/should be about.

I can only hope the Section 31 show is dead in the water....that may have been the first Star Trek show I'd have never bothered to watch.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Im not watching it. Unlike a lot of people here I didn't dislike the early seasons. But once they took it to the future it became a turn off.

The burn was totally boring.

The characters were never outside of Burnham that interesting. They seem to lose any interesting male.

Seemingly having a traditional heterosexual white male in the cast is now out. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eadrom

Was with you up until the “traditional heterosexual white male” bit.

Discovery’s problem is bad writing, not a lack “traditional” cast members.

I would echo this. I would add that while in some respects the casting choices of the show could have been better, the gender/race/orientation/star-sign of said people have no baring on Discovery’s quality.

It is as you say, the writing. And for me, also the set design, f’ugly CGI work on the ships and (especially early on) the insane camera work. I would have no trouble watching a show that hadn’t a single white and/or straight person on at, so long as it was good. It think this is something that both extreems in this tired argument keep ignoring. Having a diverse cast does not exonerate crap work, nor does the lack of anything “traditional” make said work automatically crap; it’s all down to how well it is done, and that is what it should be judged on.

Discovery is for me, a crap Sci-fi show on it’s own merits, and so I am not watching. Soniqua Martin Green is a crap actress, on her own merits, and so I will not be drawn to any of her work. Alex Kurtzman is a crap showrunner, on his own merits, and unless he sticks the landing with Picard and finally drops this nonsense show, I’m inclined to judge him harshly. None of the above are due to creed or colour, just merits, as I feel it should always be.

• Advertisement

I would echo this. I would add that while in some respects the casting choices of the show could have been better, the gender/race/orientation/star-sign of said people have no baring on Discovery’s quality.

I think that might not be entirely true. There's a big push in the last few years in that if you have character of a certain orientation you must have an actor of that orientation. It really cuts down the potential pool of actors for some roles which has to affect the quality.

Writing quality has no baring on casting quality though, not in any real terms. While casting calls might look for Orientation X, it won't matter a jot how good the eventual actor is if the writing is complete shíte. Which is a problem dogging the show from episode 1. As Harrison Ford once said, you can write this shít George, but you can't say it.

The acting isn't stellar either. Adira, Adria or whatever was played by a bad actor and was one of the actors who had to fit the orientation. The writing definitely should be better but bad writing and good acting would at least be more watchable.

Oh nobody's gonna win awards on that show, though I think Martin-Green is a better actor than the material allows.

Mind you, Trek has rarely had a cast with universal acting quality - though in those cases, it was the writing that saved the obvious deficiencies (not always mind you, hello Enterprise).

They were never all good at the start but most of them were at least competent by season five.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I see we're back to the "Discovery's problem is it's too woke" debate again, yawn.

Or the idea that an actor has to have the same background/orientation as characters with certain characteristics severely reduces the pool of available actors which will reduce the quality of those actors. Not specifically a DSC problem but it definitely doesn't help it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,930 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Along with the bad writing, I think the bad direction has to take a fair share of the blame too... Burnham's teary overwrought performances at this stage cannot be her own call against the wishes of the show-runners and directors, it's been going on long enough now that it must be their wishes over hers. Very hard to do anything with a role where those sorts of melodramatic demands are made of the actor.

As we've talked about here before, for better or worse (definitely worse) they decided after the first season to turn the show down a tweenage Space-CW route, away from anything even remotely resembling the more stoic exploration tones of previous Trek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,244 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I gave up on it after the second half of the 1st episode of Seacon 4. Like so many others it started if goid but then who Burnham has to be the one go solve everything I said that it I am done with thus rubbish. There is much better shows out there to be watching that this and it certainly was never Star Trek either.

There is a great show called "The ARK"

Check it out.

Well worth watching. Yes some of the CGI especially in the first episode is a bit ropey but the stories are actually very good and it's even more Star Trek even do it has nothing to do with Star Trek than this much above ever was.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Advertisement