Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non EU spouse, want to move to the UK, how to apply for a visa?

Options
  • 09-10-2022 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

I'm an Irish citizen, my wife is Japanese. We're both above working holiday age. She currently has a stamp 4 Irish visa.

She wants to move to London because she thinks that she'll have more job opportunities there.

I know that I, as an Irish citizen, automatically qualify for settled status in the UK, so do not require a Visa, but I'm not sure what rights, if ny, she is entitled to, and what Visa she needs to apply for.

Has anyone moved to the UK post Brexit with a non EU spouse, and if so, could you advise on the process?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

As an Irish citizen post-brexit, you need to follow the same process that a UK national resident abroad would have to follow to bring their non-UK spouse to the UK including meeting various financial tests, English language proficiency etc. Pre-Brexit, EU citizens had an advantage over British citizens in that the financial and other tests did not apply. Immigrationboards.com and the Home Office website will be the best resources. You will apply via the Embassy, I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Icarian

That's very helpful, thanks Marcusm

Advertisement