Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIY Power Flushing Rig

• 09-10-2022 2:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

Got a 'mad fit' recently and decided to design and build a Power Flushing Rig for my Central Heating System

Bought a pump from Lidl (or Aldi). Just had to check that the max head was not greater than the rating of the pipework. 9m head was o.k.

Got some 3-port 2 position valves in work, so purchased some cam lock fittings and bent some pipe. This allowed me to reverse flow by just turning 2 levers. Also bought some 3/4" flexi pipe locally, and had a header tank spare.

Found some very strong magnets in work. I wrapped these in cling film and put them at the bottom of the tank to collect any metal particles.

Drained down the system and made the tie into the system in the hot press.

Worked out a treat. Didn't catch too much particles on the magnets (though there is a magnetic filter permanently installed in the system). House is 40 years old though all the pipework and radiators bar the main one in the living room have been replaced. That radiator seemed to heat up quicker and get much warmer after the flush ('though that might be the 'placebo effect'). Next I'm going to drain down the system and put some flushing chemicals in, leave for a few weeks, then 'rise and repeat'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Redders8282

Absolutely outstanding, fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Well done! Nice set up. Did you have to isolate the radiator water tank in the attic before flushing the system?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

It's a pressurised system, so no water tank in attic. Just had to close the isolation valve on the top up connection from the mains.

Drained the system down (again) today and put is some 'central heating cleaning chemical'. Will leave in for a week or two then I'll power flush it again, and then put in some inhibitor fluid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭monseiur

I won't pretend to understand how it works but well done, you should start up a side line business flushing CH systems.

Advertisement