Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boiler not firing, Sunday so no plumber today.

• 09-10-2022 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8 _Dan

Hi All,

I have called my usual plumber but no answer (being Sunday) so looking for advice if there is a simple solution before I can get hold if him.

Have a Riello RDB oil burner which is not firing.

No red light on lockout reset button.

Oil supply seems fine, tank full.

Power going to the burner 230 between L/N when heat requested.

Circulating pump runs when heat requested but nothing from burner - not a single sound.

Not a lockout but when the reset button is pressed it goes through the sequence of fan for tenish seconds then a clicking, a few more seconds of fan, then back to nothing.

Thanks.

Comments

• I know nothing about plumbing or boilers but there is a reliable emergency plumbing service if you are in Dublin area I have used and found very responsive and

professional

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭dbas

When I had an oil boiler and I ran out of oil, I'd have to bleed the line to get the air out first after refilling the tank. Very similar to bleeding a radiator really

If that fails, get a data sheet online and root through it for common faults and solutions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

JUST GUESSES --

Blocked oil filter ???

Dirty electrodes ???

Dirty flame sensor ???

Insufficient water pressure ???

• Registered Users Posts: 8 _Dan

Thanks all for the replies.

Doesn’t need bleeding, oil filter not blocked, flame sensor clean, water pressure fine.

I’m down in Wexford, my plumber got back to me and is coming out tomorrow so hopefully get it sorted soon. I’ll post again when it’s sorted.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭John.G

Have you tried pressing the water hi limit reset button, its normally hidden under a little plastic screw off cap, it will be somewhere near the boiler, probably on the terminal box where the boiler stats are marshalled.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

It goes through the lockout sequence when reset pressed.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭mikewest

Probably too late in the day but sounds like the control box needs replacing https://www.plumbingproducts.ie/riello-rdb-spare-parts-ireland/2400-riello-rdb-control-box-535.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

While it could turn out to be that, it is the most unlikely scenario. As a matter of fact, what the op describes goes a long way to proving a correctly functioning control box.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭mikewest

Had exact same symptoms late spring. Was control box. May be different here ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

could be as simple as a blocked nozzle

could also be a fuel pump issue if it is this make sure no water in oil tank

but a pressure gauge would tell a story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 _Dan

So, turns out it was a ‘drive gear peg’ that was worn so motor was running but torque not being transferred to pump. Like a key for a keyed drive shaft. Anyway, replaced that and works perfectly.

Advertisement