Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spouse gets Invalidity Pension. Dependent Adult Entitlement.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Hi. Please don’t worry. If your IP appeal fails you will, of course, still be entitled to the QA payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭jj880

Thanks for that.

My spouse has just received a letter entitled "Re PAYE Preliminary End Of Year Statements For 2019, 2020 and 2021"

It states that they have underpaid Tax of 891 euro for tax year 2021 and an income tax return needs to be filed before 31st October 2022.

I have tried to request the "Preliminary End Of Year Statement" for this on Revenue Online. I get an error stating that because there was no employment or pension records for that year there is no statment available.

So at the moment all we have is a letter saying we owe 891 euro and no further details.

Is this letter a mistake? Should we contact Revenue or someone else first about it? Should I make a seperate thread on this?

This is pretty stressful running up to Christmas.

Thanks.

Was your spouse getting PUP at any stage during 20 or 21? Are they an employee or self employed? Did you go online and request Statements for each of the years 19, 20, 21? When did they stop working?

No PUP.

They were an employee.

Yeah I requested all years. Same error. No employment or pension records so no statement available.

Stopped working in 2013.

The only thing I can think of is I got added to their IP as a QA around the time it says they start owing tax from. But since I cant get the statements Im not sure 100%.

The only other thing I noticed is civil status is showing as single even though we've been married since 2014. So no married tax credit available.

Im thinking contact citizens advice first, then Revenue and see what they say. If I have to pay it then pay it. Update Revenue status to married (to hopefully avoid in future) and try a tax rebate service for the 891 euro they want now. Im not sure what to do though.

Absolutely there’s your problem. Go online both of you and change your civil status to married and it’ll get sorted out in the end, but it’ll take a little while. Do that now, don’t waste any more time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Contact Revenue, this topic came up on another financial site, seems a whole bunch of those 'preliminary tax' notifications went out in error to people getting social welfare payments.

That would be what I hoped - that this letter is an error.

Could you link to or just tell me what site that was so I can keep track?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

It was mentioned in a thread on Askaboutmoney. com

Thanks I will get that sorted also. Should have been done long time ago. I assumed when we got married Revenue would get notified automatically. Must check all our services under mygovid for this oversight.

Post edited by jj880 on

Found it. Seems a single woman looking after her parents on carers allowance got the same letter looking for 1800 euro. That cant be right. If I get it sorted I'll post back in here with an update.

• Advertisement

Got through to them today. Turns out in our case its not a mistake and this is the problem. However Revenue said we wont have to pay the 891 euro. They said they've put a note on the account that we have made contact with them and not to worry about the 31st October deadline. They said to update the marriage status (to get the tax credit) and then submit a tax return and it should be fine.

Hopefully that will be the end of getting letters saying we have 2 weeks to pay unpaid tax just before Christmas.

In the end we got the civil status updated to married about 2 weeks ago. We didnt bother doing a tax return or anything because in the letter we got Revenue said if we dont submit a tax return they will make an assessment based on information available on November 17th (if you register for revenue online you get extra time). Just got an email saying they have looked at our case and since we updated our civil status before their assessment we do not have any underpaid tax for 2020 and 2021 based on tax credits. Such a relief.

Thanks @TooTired123 and @phormium for the help.

Advertisement